Beck's new drummer????

S.P

Re: Beck's new drummer????

Postby S.P » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:51 pm

chris perra wrote:I played the video's of Veronica's version and Vinnie's version from Live at Ronnies to a newbie student..

The verdict was Veronica is better cause she's not sweaty... ha ha

I played them for another student that is intermediate.... He liked her version better cause she was better on the toms than he was..

Then I played him vinnies led boots solo from the same live show , then he said " Well that totally changes my opinion about him"
"At one spot it looked like he was playing with both hands.. but then he pushed up his glasses at the same time." haha,.

It's funny what your students think. It took me about 2 years to "get" Vinnie after I started playing drums. I remember having the modern drummer 2000 DVD and not enjoying the Vinnie and the band's music and performance. I would ask my teacher who the best drummers in the world were at those times and he would there's a few but probably Vinnie Colaiuta and I couldn't believe it. I remember thinking that his playing had no structure, he didn't play that many notes (I was listening to a lot of Portnoy at the time which is basically continous 16th and 32nd note hand/foot flurrys) and what he was doing didn't seem very hard.

Then I heard Seven Days and the snowball started rolling...
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:56 pm

She will need tough skin to withstand the onslaught from various forums such as this

If I was gigging with someone like Jeff Beck, I think internet forums would really be the last of my worries.

It would be as if someone making a movie with Martin Scorsese is going online onto actor's forums and worrying what people are saying about their acting chops.

Forget thick skin, pretty much everyone discussed on here has a resume that gives them the ability to give little ole forums like this the "brush off the shoulder" move. No offense, but why would anyone come on here to validate their seemingly successful career anyway?

I love going online and talking about things I love and find enjoyable as much as the next person, but I think perhaps people in these microcosms sometimes forget the"micro" part of the term.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:21 pm

You never know who reads forums, this one in particular. More power to the girl. Who knows how she landed that gig... when unknown names replace the most known names (in any industry) you know there is a lot more to the story then the obvious.

DSOP wrote:Plus she won't demand as high a salary as more well-known/established players, and Beck isn't exactly playing big rooms anymore.

Now that is an interesting point. I wonder how much of that played into things, given Vinnie's pay rate is prob 50x hers, literally.
Riddim

Postby Riddim » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:29 pm

I wish her luck. It's good when the phone rings.
Matus

Postby Matus » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:50 am

littlegrooves wrote:
She will need tough skin to withstand the onslaught from various forums such as this

Forget thick skin, pretty much everyone discussed on here has a resume that gives them the ability to give little ole forums like this the "brush off the shoulder" move. No offense, but why would anyone come on here to validate their seemingly successful career anyway?

Actually, that's one funny chapter in HoD history. An overly successful drummer going "why don't you love me?" on the forum.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:15 am

Matus wrote:
littlegrooves wrote:

Actually, that's one funny chapter in HoD history. An overly successful drummer going "why don't you love me?" on the forum.

.... and having to dig back about a year to find the offending thread....
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:33 pm

Matus wrote:
littlegrooves wrote:

Okay, excluding MP, my original assertion stands!

I forgot about that incident :D
Niles

Postby Niles » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:31 pm

I was just talking to someone that I work with today (he's not at all affiliated with the music industry), and he said "hey, have you guys heard of a gtr player named Jeff Beck? A badass chick drummer I'm friends with just got a gig with him." I remembered this thread and checked to see if he was talking about the same person - it's her...

Hope she does well - I guess there will be videos up at some point...
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:46 pm

bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:31 am

I would just go with the best-looking drummer.

Vinnie!

Return to “Drumming Chat”