Drum Hardware

DSOP

Drum Hardware

Postby DSOP » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:35 am

It's amazing how little drum hardware has progressed in the last 50 years. I was just watching a video of Miles Davis's quintet from the late 60s. They're playing in Europe somewhere, and Tony is playing some Premier drums. He is having nothing but problems with the cymbal stand tilter and hi-hat stand sliding away.

I recently bought a DVD of John Scofield performing live at the Montreal Jazz Fest with Bill Stewart. This is from the early 90s I think. Bill is playing Pearl drums, and at one point, his first mounted tom gets knocked way out of place, and then later on, he's fighting with his hi-hat stand too. I've seen numerous videos of Bill Stewart extending his left leg as he tries to reclaim his hi-hat stand.

I'm really surprised that someone hasn't come along and developed a line of great, practical, light, functional, beautiful, drum hardware and mounting systems. Just look at how far the bicycle industry has changed in the same time period.

Some drum hardware is better than others, and my Yamaha stuff is pretty good, but I don't think anyone has really got it right yet. Even something as simple as a hi-hat clutch has a long way to go before you can say "awesome!".
Christopher

Re: Drum Hardware

Postby Christopher » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:51 am

Well, there are tons more options now at least.

Racks, curved or straight. Cage or low.

Stands now come in light, medium and double braced.

I think it’s now a balance of weight vs. performance.

As in, how sturdy do you want your stands vs. how much weight are you willing to lug?

The biggest hardware innovation to come along since the late 60s is the boom stand, IMHO.

Someone should buy Bill a $20 Home Depot rug remnant.

:)
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Christopher wrote:Well, there are tons more options now at least.

Compare the most advanced bicycles from 1967 to ones made in 2011.
Now, compare the best snare stands or hi-hat stands from 1967 to ones made in 2011.

I think engineers are more interested in bicycles.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:09 pm

Most of the hardware I've ever used has been fine and functional..

I can't see there being a huge need for massive changes except maybe in weight..
Foot pedals and hihat stands have come along way... My first pedal was a Ludwig speed king, I had to use coat hanger pieces to repair the link to the pedal..
But you are right that there isn't a "Cadillac" of hardware out there..
Just heavy and light,.. and everybody is similar in build and quality..

My Ford drum throne is pretty bad ass though, that's a huge improvement
The sliding bass drum tom mount was a great idea as well
I guess there's been lots of innovations, but not alot of cutting edge breakthroughs that make one hardware company or particular design a cut above the rest..
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Yeah, everyone seems to just copy everyone else. I guess that's common to all industries though. Hi-hat stands are better, for sure, but they haven't really changed that much. Tama has that lever glide that is really smooth, and bass drum pedals have added the ability to modify numerous settings which is nice.

My biggest issue is probably with tom mounts, of which there is no perfect system...yet.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:21 am

What don't you like about the Yamaha tom arms/mount?
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:44 am

I get your point, compared to [mountain] bikes you're right. In biking most tech serves the 'weight weenies'. Lots of carbon [which took a leap], hydraulic and titanium parts. On the other hand, Pearl is doing a great job IMHO. I love their snare- and cymbal stands. I like TAMA and DW hihat stands and kick pedals,... and the Yamaha Rack is awesome. The tom mounting system from the Gretsch NC line is a dream to me. It's just that no single company gets the whole line of products at hi-end level...which is strange I agree.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:27 am

I agree about the tom mount situation. Personally, i think Yamaha's mounts are the best, at least on my ten year old Birch Vintage. I wish I could have my toms on the kick drum in a two up one down situation but I position my kick drum as if it were the right kick in a double bass set up which puts the toms too far to the right. I would like to not have to use a seperate stand for my toms. its a minor gripe for me, but if I had a wish list it would be number one. Maybe something similar to a boom arm for toms would help me.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:32 am

Ayotte made a tom mount that could be positioned off of the bass drum. It was heavy and probably put a lot of stress on the bass drum shell. I'd get a separate stand or set your toms up like Weckl. One on the bass, the other on a stand. You probably have a cymbal there anyway so it's not like you need an extra stand.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:13 am

I get what I have to do, which is what Ive been doing for ten years, its just a wish list. I understand t6he physical limitations of what I want. I have also used a drum rack for about 15 years on and off. Ive tried all kinds of different stands and positions. I like the Yamaha though because it is a 3 hole mount. If I could mount the toms on the kick drum, I can put a boom tom arm in the third slot and get rid of a stand altogether. If I had some kind of boom mounting system that physically would work without the added stress to the kick drum, that would be what I am looking for. sorry I wasnt clear the first time around.

Return to “Drumming Chat”