STYX Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight dvd

Randy Walker

STYX Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight dvd

Postby Randy Walker » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:03 pm

the new STYX dvd which is a performance front to back of Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight was released this week and its great. lots of camera time featuring Todd. The audio mix is superb.

http://www.amazon.com/Styx-Grand-Illusi ... 967&sr=8-3
Juan Expósito

Re: STYX Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight dvd

Postby Juan Expósito » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:20 pm

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:28 pm

this might be a good concert to pick up. grew up listening to the stuff as a kid. love tommy's voice. todd fits the band to a tee. they are all very talented seasoned rock musicians. liked the trailer. if there is a drum solo i'll pick it up. my PS3 died a while back so i don't have a blue ray player. time for a new one.
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Ordered, looks like a damn good DVD!
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:51 am

I saw them on this tour and it was one of the best performed shows I've ever seen. The vocals were perfect.
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:04 am

i agree, the vocals are a big highlight, aside from Todds and the bands playing. The song Superstar is a real stand out, the vocal harmonies are spot on
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:11 am

wow! looks great!!
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
Todd Sucherman

Postby Todd Sucherman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:06 pm

Hey, thanks a lot, guys. Randy, thanks for posting this.

I must say that I think this is far and away the best live release we've ever done. It's the best representation of this band live, and my work within it. Almost all of the "live releases" we've done, from a personal playing stand point, makes me want to leap from the highest bridge I can find. I'm really very proud of this one and I think we were finally captured accurately! To those interested or inclined, I sincerely hope you dig it. This double album tour was my favorite run I've done with the band in my 16 years with them.

Cheers from somewhere in Washington State,

Todd
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Todd Sucherman wrote:Hey, thanks a lot, guys. Randy, thanks for posting this.

I must say that I think this is far and away the best live release we've ever done. It's the best representation of this band live, and my work within it. Almost all of the "live releases" we've done, from a personal playing stand point, makes me want to leap from the highest bridge I can find. I'm really very proud of this one and I think we were finally captured accurately! To those interested or inclined, I sincerely hope you dig it. This double album tour was my favorite run I've done with the band in my 16 years with them.

Cheers from somewhere in Washington State,

Todd

I think I know what you are talking about our analysis in our own playing in live recordings..
But Damn...what kind of "things" make you feel bad with your playing in the others live recordings, generally speaking ?
Todd Sucherman

Postby Todd Sucherman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:20 pm

Hey Juan,

There are many factors involved to properly answer your question. For one, I suffer with the inability to please myself. I can find fault with myself easily which has always been an issure for me. When I'm pleased, I'm pleased but that comes with a process at times.

Without throwing my bandmates under a bus, they have the tendency to play very "on top." Now this posses a unique issue because I can only pull back so much. It's a fine line to walk every time. I have to go with it to an extent because I find that if I'm stubborn and think, "Hey guys....it's way back HERE," the overall musical effect is that it sounds like the drummer is tired and can't keep up. So not only to I feel like an ass doing that-- I end up sounding like one too, musically speaking.

So I often feel we don't always get the fat quarter note pulse I strive for. With the other live recordings from an aesthetic point, I don't feel we've necessarily captured particularly magical nights. For whatever reason we've always recorded or filmed a single show, as opposed to recording or filming multiple nights and picking the cherry tracks from each show---as most other acts often do. It's true in this case with the new DVD that it was again only one single show filmed, which adds a certain pressure, but I think it's our best representation of what has been captured yet. In essence, it's our defining live work---finally. I can say that I'm happy with it!

Thanks for the question, Juan! I hope that made sense.

Cheers,
Todd

Return to “Drumming Chat”