Show me your Drum Room!

deseipel

Re: Show me your Drum Room!

Postby deseipel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:37 pm

I think the Such has the ultimate drum room. My pants are tight.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:41 pm

Is there a pre-fab booth you can purchase that would give you, oh ... say 4x5 feet of interior space and reduce levels at 20 feet by at least 80% ?
renardvert

Postby renardvert » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:Well played, renardvert!

Thanks Julian!
Robert Schwieger

Postby Robert Schwieger » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:37 pm

I remember reading an article about Omar Hakim and how he had some sort of pre fab tent like structure put into a room in his place in NY. I want to say in was in an electronic musician magazine. I'll see if I can did it up. I remember him saying something about how well it isolated but was extremely expensive.
LADanny

Postby LADanny » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:10 pm

Old Pit Guy wrote:Is there a pre-fab booth you can purchase that would give you, oh ... say 4x5 feet of interior space and reduce levels at 20 feet by at least 80% ?

Yes, you can use these, but not cheap:

http://www.vocalbooth.com/applications/ ... ion-booth/

Danny
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:27 am

Woa.... not enough snares!

deseipel - Double wall that room with an air gap using solid wall construction. Then just treat the inside of the room to taste - some like dry and dead as can be, some like a nice bright room. Either way, nobody outside will hear you.

Old Pit Guy - you can buy cubicle panels extremely cheap. Drums are just loud though, the only way to completely isolate them in a room is with some serious construction.
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:56 am

here's my control room
Attachments
comtrol 1.JPG
comtrol 1.JPG (381.14 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:59 am

here's my main drum room (its a mess at the moment), i have 2 live rooms, 2 iso rooms plus two rooms with grand pianos.
Attachments
drum room1.jpg
drum room1.jpg (602.21 KiB) Viewed 6091 times
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:02 pm

I will be contributing to this thread soon. It's pretty timely. As some here may already know, I was devastated by Hurricane Irene seven months ago. My drum room got 6 foot of water in it, (it has always been a 100% dry room, except for the one time in a hundred years that my house was surrounded by 4 foot of water.)

The good news is that I had cleared most of the equipment out in preparation (I lost some cases and some hardware) but all of my instruments were moved to the third floor of my house.

In the last 6 or so months, I have received (baptism by fire) an education in all aspects of demolition and construction. I completely gutted the room, made a ton of improvements (both sound, layout, and weather related) and I am in the last phase of reconstruction.

It's been a bitch (financially, lifestyle, work-wise, family wise... and before you ask, insurance and FEMA were of little help, but that's a whole 'nuther story.) But I still realize that I am one of the very lucky ones. I had a home to come back to. But for seven months all of my waking hours that I am not teaching or playing (aka. "making a living") have been spent on this project.

You just haven't lived until you come home from a gig at 3am and thought to yourself, "Hey I've got a few hours to do some drywall, wiring, painting, or whatever...."

My equipment has been strewn throughout my entire home for 6 months (Example: "Honey, where are the towels?" Oh, they are hung right behind the Gretsch kit stacked up in the bedroom. No they aren't there... OK, check next to the one of the snare drum stacks, or underneath the cymbal cases in the office. I already checked there... OK check on top of my Yamaha kit in the spare room. Thanks, found them!) seriously, I kid you not! Living like an episode of Hoarders (the drum edition) just aint my thang!

But in a week or two the room will be complete, and I will take some pix for y'all, I will be able to practice again, and teach at home. Then my back, knees, and all other parts of my body can start to recover from the last 7 months.

Love the pix of all of the rooms guys, they look GREAT! and CONGRATS! But I also agree, if this is a competition (which it's not!) Sucherman's got us all beaten. Although in my reconstruction, I did steal some of Todd's ideas, those shots from the first DVD came in handy. Thanks for the inspiration bro!

I hope all is well with all of the HOD family, sorry I haven't been around much, but I think the above paragraphs will explain why.

Hope all is well,
Mark
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Sorry to hear that, Mark...
I´m glad everything is going back to normal...

Return to “Drumming Chat”