Vinnie signs deal with Paiste.

DSOP

Re: Vinnie signs deal with Paiste.

Postby DSOP » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:02 pm

gretsch-o-rama wrote:Paiste, imo, have to be the most inorganic cymbals out there. I feel like they sound like how a slow bit rate speed sounds like. Like you are hearing pixels.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion. Play what you love. I think Paiste makes SEVERAL incredible lines of cymbals that sound unlike any other cymbal out there, and have all the bases covered. The main problem with Paiste is that they have very little presence in retail, so no one gets a chance to really check them out in person.
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Pick up a Paiste 2002 17" thin crash. I've got one along with a 16" that shimmer, sparkle, crash, swell, and splash, when you look at them! The 20 Series don't impress me as much as I hoped they would, and the cost of the Dark Energy stuff pisses me off, quite frankly. But, the new 602's sound amazing to me and really sound very "pure". The only crash cymbal I like more than my 17 thin 2002 is an A Custom 17. Those crashes are marvelous.
D.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:26 pm

DSOP wrote:
gretsch-o-rama wrote:Paiste, imo, have to be the most inorganic cymbals out there. I feel like they sound like how a slow bit rate speed sounds like. Like you are hearing pixels.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion. Play what you love. I think Paiste makes SEVERAL incredible lines of cymbals that sound unlike any other cymbal out there, and have all the bases covered. The main problem with Paiste is that they have very little presence in retail, so no one gets a chance to really check them out in person.

Have you checked out Dream? They seem to be every where and I first took them to be cheap China shit! After hearing a few in person and realizing how cheap they were, I'm interested. Playability on a cymbal like that has got to be hard to come by though....
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:00 pm

gretsch-o-rama wrote:Have you checked out Dream? They seem to be every where and I first took them to be cheap China shit! After hearing a few in person and realizing how cheap they were, I'm interested. Playability on a cymbal like that has got to be hard to come by though....

They're nice, yes (and quite affordable too I hear). I think if I were to go the full-on Turkish route though, I would go for Istanbul or Mehmet. I've just always had a hard-on for Paiste, ever since I first heard/saw Danny Gottlieb with Pat Metheny years ago. The variety is amazing. I love the Tony Williams Nefertiti thing too, and the Paiste Traditionals and DE stuff satisfy that thing for me too. I may grab one of the Custom Masters one day, but I think I have enough pies for now. :)
Manu

Postby Manu » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:07 am

i hope he does a promo video playing them. Anything for some pro shot vinnie footage.
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:50 am

I dig some of the Paiste stuff. I have a 20" Traditional light ride that sounds great as a crash (but is cracking). I played one of their big beat rides last summer on tour and I really dug it. I just don't like the crashes. They are too glassy sounding for my ears.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:09 am

<steve edit>
HEY GUYS I LIKE POSTING DUMB THINGS!!
<steve edit>

The user was warned for this post.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:17 am

Edit. :)

Thanks Steve.
Last edited by Rodge on Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:52 am

Whatever Paiste's he's playing in the Sting vids sound very thin to me - not digging it at all - I think the A Customs/K Customs he played were much fuller sounding. The Paiste china is weak too. Seem to be much softer in volume too.
Last edited by drum6282 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:04 am

He mgiht need to go to bigger crashes to get a fuller sound.

I play 2002s, and notice they can be a little "specific" in terms of volume, sound and pitch compared to Zildjian.

http://www.paiste-only.com/paistewiki/index.php?title=Jeff_Porcaro

Return to “Drumming Chat”