Thomas Lang, Amazing drum sound and chops

Manu

Thomas Lang, Amazing drum sound and chops

Postby Manu » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:06 pm

I've always thought Thomas is a super nice guy and a great drummer, but his playing never really hit the sweet spot with me.......until now that is.

Holy crap, that was some incredible playing and sound, I am in awe!
sejuba

Re: Thomas Lang, Amazing drum sound and chops

Postby sejuba » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:14 pm

they sound like processed drums... he said there was a compressor on a room mic, but it also sound like he used artificial reverb. The kit is very well tuned but there's no sustain from the toms.
I liked the snare though. Very modern sounding. the solo had a few interesting ideas... but Thomas is one of those guys who HAS to play A MILLION NOTES all the time. It wears out quite soon.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:36 pm

sejuba wrote:The kit is very well tuned but there's no sustain from the toms.

Funny, I thought they had TOO much sustain. :) You can never tell with a video. You need to hear drums in person.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:11 pm

The 10 inch was ringing on everything. It needed a gate on it.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Not my cup of tea... Loudness war anyone?

Funny how far the hats are from the snare... I always thought that it kind of makes sense to use it like that ´cause is more comfy for the foot (but can also compromise the hands)
David Francis

Postby David Francis » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:22 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't really seen any recent Footage of Thomas (since his second Hudson DVD)
I enjoyed it. The 'open' solo seemed more improvised than other stuff I've heard him do. His hands looked looser/more relaxed than I remember too.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:49 am

Walnut finish with gold hardware........ it's so distracting for me in the studio...Haha... Where's my piano black kit so I can be focused..

Those drums sounded great.,... Some of the best sounding DW's by far... I like that kind of video.. Simple in the living room kind of thing,, but delivers the sonic goods..
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:42 am

Great chops yes but I don't agree with the amazing" descriptor for the drum sound. I'm not a fan of DW toms really.
I really like that Thomas is out there promoting drum education with is camps though, and admire his dedication to his facility on the kit, doesn't he have a family too? Crazy.
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:04 am

DSOP wrote:
sejuba wrote:The kit is very well tuned but there's no sustain from the toms.

Funny, I thought they had TOO much sustain. :) You can never tell with a video. You need to hear drums in person.

DSOP, I can hear the long sustain, but they sounded like they were produced artificially by hardware or software, not by the drums themselves.

I'm too lazy to watch it again but I believe Thomas said that because the shells are really short they give "longer sustain"... doesn't that sound contradictory ?
I always thought deep shells had longer sustain. I was never good at physics though.

Anyway, they don't sound natural to me...which is fine. I have no problem with that, I actually enjoy certain drum sounds that are processed with
heavy eq/gating/compression bla bla bla Its just not my sound...

For me, this is what AWESOME ultra modern sounding drums in a big space should be like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxqWiRCg4mM
Gavin Harrison just kills as an engineer/drum tech as well as he kicks ass playing the damn thing
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:27 am

5:50 to 8:00 =

Return to “Drumming Chat”