Signature Empyrean Snare Drum

Todd Sucherman

Re: Signature Empyrean Snare Drum

Postby Todd Sucherman » Wed May 16, 2012 11:48 am

Julian-

Sebastian Plenzner at Qdrums in Poland offered to make me a drum, which was extremely kind. He asked for my signature for a badge and let me pick out the finish. So I really didn't "design" the Qdrum to any great degree, or have anything to do with it other than accept his extremely kind gift from Sebastian, who is a fine fellow drummer and an admirer of my work. So, I suppose he's selling the model as my model. And why not? I just received the drum and have a new friend.

Josiah---

If I have to explain the difference between a Qdrum and a Stanbridge that was actually designed by me (and Pete Stanbridge who is like Stradivarius), and the couple thousand hours of hand made detail in a drum and package unlike anything offered in drum making history....I would be at a loss. I suppose there would be a lot of things in this world I wouldn't be able to explain to you.

Pocketplayer---

Everything is subjective and beauty is in the eye and ear of the beholder. What you hear in the clips is at my little humble studio with fairly humble gear. It's far from Ocean Way studio B, so there's a bit of a disadvantage I suppose. But one thing I didn't do was process the hell out of it which you can do with any snare drum. Check out any of Pete's drums in person. You'll get the idea. Everyone that has come to my house has flipped out on the drum--including me--so that's what's important to me in the big picture. This drum was not a business venture, but an artistic one, with the notion of doing something that has never been done before.

Richie---

You are correct. Or at least we think in similar terms. And we do what makes us happy regardless of other opinions. Why do guitarists spend $100,000 for a '59 Fender Telecaster? Other guitars can do the job, right? The difference is that guy wants a goddamn '59 Telecaster and he's got the coin to do it!

Circh--

Well, every hand made drum by a solitary maker is "custom." If we are playing semantics, the Qdrum was "custom" as I chose the finish and size, and he put the badge on. So in that regard it was custom for me and not for whoever would be the winning bidder. The Stanbridge Empyrean was custom for me, but whoever orders one can change the size or wood combinations, making the Empyrean personalized for each client if they desire. Or they can get one just like I have.

I hope this has cleared up the linguistic difference. I'm happy to continue this dialogue with whom ever is interested.

Cheers from Charlotte, NC
Todd
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Wed May 16, 2012 12:32 pm

Todd, I understood. It was only in response to Richie's post before mine. Having not played your drum, I have no opinion on it at this time other than it looks like a drum I would like to lay stick to:)
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Wed May 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Thats exactly it Todd, I saw the pic and the specs, price hit me for a home run but when I saw the work and had a chat to Peter my mind was already made up. I have never played or seen one of these drums so being 30,000kms form where it's being made is a real gamble but I trust Peter's eye and I think he is even a little nervous.

I am trying to make the trek over next year if I can to visit Peter and maybe catch a Styx show....maybe.... got a wedding to pay for in the mean time.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Thu May 17, 2012 9:13 pm

This drum was not a business venture, but an artistic one, with the notion of doing something that has never been done before.

There ya have it...art and business don't always come together nicely. That said, I am all for pushing boundaries and this snare, albeit high in price today will come down if it advances the instrument. It always takes visionaries and those willing to actualize a dream to set the bar and then advance an idea. We all look for cars with good MPG ratings, but deep down we all want to drive for passion not practicality. This drum has both! Again Todd, thanks for taking the time to share with HOD and interact.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri May 18, 2012 10:46 am

If money was no object, I'd get one.

Though I understand the whole package deal, the only reason I would get one would be to use the heck out of it, so it would be interesting what just the drum with no extras would go for.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri May 18, 2012 12:42 pm

I actually had a really nice conversation with Todd earlier. He's a super nice guy and his passion about his snare drum and Peter's work is very apparent in talking to him about the snare.

I would like to apologize to Todd publicly here about any comments I made in regards to the topic. I am sorry and did not mean any personal offense towards Todd or Peter. In talking to him personally about it I have gained a new perspective about what he's doing and his passion for the instrument as a whole. It is an artistic venture and a beautiful one at that.

While the drum IS expensive, for what it is, the materials, the workmanship, build time and effort, it's actually a great deal if you can afford it. It is a piece of amazing art and an amazing sounding snare drum on top of that.

"We all look for cars with good MPG ratings, but deep down we all want to drive for passion not practicality."

That's an exceptional way to put it. And just like cars, hopefully for drummers, it will be a goal they can have that will help drive them to work hard to achieve it.
Joe Nocella

Postby Joe Nocella » Fri May 18, 2012 12:53 pm

Wow! That takes courage to not only change your way of thinking but to express it and your apology here. Cheers! and Cheers to Todd for taking the time to help a fellow drum brother see another perspective! HoD never ceases to astound me!
Todd Sucherman

Postby Todd Sucherman » Sat May 19, 2012 8:14 am

Richie---

Keep me posted if you ever want to swing over this way. And congrats on the upcoming nuptials. My advice on wedding day: Don't forget to eat. (It can be overlooked!)

Pocket--

Thanks.

Odd-Arne---

The extras are just the extras and don't really add to the price. If you'd like to consider the price of the drum, realize that Pete is working for a few bucks an hour (as it is so labor intensive). How many of us would work for a few bucks an hour? Something to ponder.

Josiah--

I'm glad I had the gumption to ring you up, and was happy to chat. Thanks for your words here, and I wish you the best! Thanks, man.

Joe--

Right on.....thanks!

Cheers from Virginia Beach,
Todd
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:46 pm

Well I have received the first few images of the wood set aside and milled down and al I can say is WOW, unpainted it still looks amazing.

I didn't asked permission about posting them on here but there is long way to go in finiishing it off but the excitement grows....

Return to “Drumming Chat”