Official Virgil Donati thread

Jim Richman

Re: Official Virgil Donati thread

Postby Jim Richman » Tue May 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Rodge wrote:I respect him, Steve Smith too, for their dedication to the instrument, what amont of work for playing all those crazy things !!! :o
I respect that, really.

But I don't hear any music in his drumming, same for SS, saying this I have to give more credit to people like Dave, Gary, etc... Because they are truly some beautuiful musicians, and being a consumate musician is way harder than being an INCREDIBLE drummer.
Maybe it's cause you may not like the music he plays? I have been a TIna Arena fan since the mid 90's and Virgil played great live with her. But Virgil tends to play music that is on the loud side. I saw him with Soul Circus and the bass and guitar were so loud, Virgil had to club his drums to be heard. A lot of dynamics get lost. Just like with Holdsworth. The volume is too loud. I would like to hear Virgil play in a more acoustic setting with more dynamics.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed May 23, 2012 5:35 am

Novak doesn't play that loud when he was playing with Allan, and I love's Allan's music.

But don't get me wrong, I really have a huge respect for Virgil.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:51 am

Highlights from Haslip/Holdsworth/Donati in Amstelveen.
The sound is a bit distorted but nothing too bad.

willyz

Postby willyz » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:53 am

I think that, rhythmically speaking, Virgil really fills in the gaps nicely and suits this gig very well. Obviously Allan likes playing with him and Haslip seems to feed off of Virgil a bit too. He’s certainly got his thing going on and I think in this sort of setting and because the other guys in the band are so bloody good it’s fun/easy for them to let him do his thing- I think it forces them to play differently in a good way. I like seeing Virgil playing the ride a bit more too.
Got Blushda?
LinearDrumma

Postby LinearDrumma » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:43 pm

I have a hard time getting into Virgil because honestly the stuff he does completely goes over my head.

Are there any clinic clips where he actually explains/breaks down some of his chops?
Cymbalfeltfetishist

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:59 pm

BTW, what ride is Virgil using for this gig with Allen?
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:02 pm

Love the latest clip posted. Would love to see more of that show. Starting to love Vigils playing. He fits right in with Allen and his tunes. Thanks for posting.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:56 pm

LinearDrumma wrote:I have a hard time getting into Virgil because honestly the stuff he does completely goes over my head.

Are there any clinic clips where he actually explains/breaks down some of his chops?

If you go back in this thread to my initial post there are two clips I think fit that request.
The one called Virgil warm up, and the Chicago Clinic Demonstration one has some explanation of some
of the things Virgil is most notoriously known for: Absurd double bass drum control and vicious hand/foot combos
while messing with the time.

BTW Virgil will be touring back home later this summer with possibly THE strongest fusion outfit, OTV, this
time 'round with Doug Shreeve on bass. If any footage appear, I suspect it to be absolutely lethal stuff.

Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Cymbalfeltfetishist wrote:BTW, what ride is Virgil using for this gig with Allen?

- a light ride to be specific. These days he usually alternates between the light and the medium, but as you can see from
the stacked cymbals, he is not one to shy away from experimenting with different cymbal setups.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:19 pm

I like the sound of Virg with Allen, I'm really enjoying the vids. It's a good fit. The Protocosmos intro is slick. I was looking for a playalong minus drums version of Protocosmos. Anyone seen one ( Google failed me )?

Return to “Drumming Chat”