TONY ROYSTER JR - MONTREAL DRUM FEST 2012

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: TONY ROYSTER JR - MONTREAL DRUM FEST 2012

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:20 am

I truly wished electronic drums would be a viable option for practice, but each time I get the idea and go to try some out, it's obvious that it can work. Someone should really start thinking about some sort of semi-acoustic solutions, because the low volume practice thing, thoough possible on pads and it's great for your brain to work on rhythms without sound, will just become more and more interesting for those up us who want to be able to practice realistically whenever we want.

Offcourse there's nothing wrong with triggers for electronic sounds if that's part of your expression.

I do see a place for electronic drums when teaching, though. In some cases my young students aren't allowed to have accoustic drums, and in that case electronic drums are way better than having nothing.

I couple of RMP-5s are also great to have around when teaching the youngest kids.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:31 am

The thing about electrics for practicing is they're NOT low volume. Take off the headphones and listen to the noise they make. Yes, they're quiet compared to acoustic drums but they still make a lot of noise.
The problem with students playing electric kits is they don't have to have good technique. The brain will fix "mistakes" like making off center strikes sound like a clean hit. You can play rimshots and cross stick sounds but you don't have to have any technique to do it. You could karate chop the pads and the brain will give you a perfect dead center sound.

Imagine if you went to see Weckl, Virgil or Vinnie and there was an ekit set up. Yeesh. So disappointing.
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:22 am

Manu wrote:

You're missing the point fellas. I would LOVE to have this rig.

You see... I know this guy was using a hi end sample library but it sounded TERRIBLE... like, completely out of context. That ride cymbal
was horrid and the snare has way too much crack. I think these drums will perform better with pop, rock and metal... I just really
miss the good'ol natural sound of really well tuned drums in a nice room.

Yes, I would buy an ekit. I think they keep getting better and better. Although I have never played the new Yamaha DTX series, they
sound ok (except when you play fast) and they seam to FEEL better than Roland pads.

Why are these things so expensive ? Why can't a computer (which is A LOT more powerful) serve as a brain ? I mean, you would
have a massive price drop if you didn't have a brain (no pun intended).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JumQv0xanRw

I sound proofed my room and it was fairly cheap. Probably was cheaper than getting a Roland.

Why does everything have to be harder for us drummers ? what the fuck !
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:37 am

Yes.
Tony Royster e-drum didn´t sound good.
This sounds good. Very good.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:55 pm

deseipel

Postby deseipel » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:50 pm

i recently started buying some electronic drum gear, very minimal though. I have no desire to play electronic 'drums' , but rather explore the possibilities of pads controlling a sequence or variety of sound textures.

it's hard for me to get excited about stuff like this, and I love all of Zachs stuff.

a friend of mine has experimented with electronics and has some interesting stuff.

this stuff is probably the best, for me, in terms of drum triggers used in a super avant garde way:
JerryOnDrums

Postby JerryOnDrums » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:28 am

Manu wrote:

You're missing the point fellas. I would LOVE to have this rig.

I don't know about anyone else, but the hi-hat on 1&3 was driving me crazy.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:04 am

If Zach can't make it work no one can.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:29 am

Wow that Zach Danziger Video was rotten...THat's right up there with the Thomas Lang DW vid..
The sounds are the exact opposite of everything they talked about.

Return to “Drumming Chat”