Steven Wilson live in Mexico (Marco Minemman on drums)

Manu

Re: Steven Wilson live in Mexico (Marco Minemman on drums)

Postby Manu » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Funny how subjective music can be, I myself really liked Marco's sound here, it's not the standard, it has an exoticness to it that I think fits the overall exoticness of Steven's solo material (which btw I think sounds nothing like PT). And by the way also, I don't think Marco was trying to sound "phat" in here, but more jazzy/fusiony/ exotic, and in that regard he succeeded.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:12 pm

I don't think Marco was trying to sound "phat" in here, but more jazzy/fusiony/ exotic, and in that regard he succeeded.

Yes.

Gavin's playing on this tune is beautiful. great hi hat work. the buzz roll thingy stick is neat. he makes the music flow just right. great musician.
Ghostnoter

Postby Ghostnoter » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:59 pm

willyz wrote:Marco is growing on me in this context- but his gear sounds awful. That snare drum and the soulless pingy ride cymbal, specifically, leads me to believe that the sound of a poo hitting the floor would sound better.

Maybe Steven wanted something different from Gavin, and I totally get that. But it must be difficult to go from your band with one of the most best sounding and most musical drummers and then to- okay, now who is available that I can hire for my solo band?

Just got the dvd today! To my ear and playback equipment, the snare sounds great. Poo would not sound better! Nope, not a chance it sounding better. :lol: The soulless ride is an Zildjian earth ride, the reissue. That is my best guess. I actually have a new found respect for the sound and use of it. The bell is killer and the definition of his riding on it, adds so much to the music. I could see a context for use of one in my playing. As far as using a different drummer...to my sensabilities it works. Apparently the audience seemed to relate favorably to Marco's contributions to Steve's music. I like the different vibe with this group of musicians.
G
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:20 am

Have not posted in this thread for a while. First of all, let me say that I'm a huge Gavin Harrison fan. He's the most musical player I've heard in the whatever category we decide to assign him. What a great player. Rock / fusion / pop. pick your poison. Musical, great chops, has concepts that will knock you back on your knees. Fuck. Gavin kills.

That said, in the context of the Steven Wilson band, I will admit I was skeptical that Marco could do the job on a musical level. Clearly the man has chops to burn. Could he make the music work? The drummer on the album was Nic France, who I didn't know but who brought passion and an interesting twist to the music, to my ears. He brought back early '70s Soft Machine and Hugh Hopper. I really enjoyed his performances on Grace for Drowning.

And then we hear about Marco, the uber-drummer, being on tour with the SW band. You know the drill. Major chops, etc. I didn't like it. I was skeptical. I don't want that with my SW. Marco overcame my skepticism. No problem with his groove playing. I think he fits that band. Subjective, I know, but no more subjective than any of the other opinions I've read. It works for me.

The gear issue. I'm listening to the DVD on my home system. If you get over the dry ride, which I find works in context, the only basis for complaint to my ears is the contemporary Zildjian A crashes. They don't make me very happy. I can live with the Earth and the hats. The other A's can go. The drums sound fine on the DVD. What are you missing?

Marco did a fine job. Love Gavin, looking forward to more from him, we hope with P Tree.

That is all. YMMV.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:17 am

album hasn't even been released yet and a tune from the new album is on freaking youtube.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:42 am

I was going to go see the show but think I will pass. Not a fan of Chads playing.
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:56 pm

I am going regardless, maybe twice or thrice. Got to support SW coming over here. Hes got a long tour.

It could be worse. Much worse.
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Fri May 10, 2013 11:13 am

I saw Steven Wilson at the Fillmore in S.F. last night. Great show and i was surprised to find that Marco Minneman was in the drum chair, not Chad Wackerman. Apparently, Marco found a sub for his other gigs, maybe it was Chad. Anyway, the band was in fine form. They played all of the Raven and parts of Grace and Insurgentes. Powerful performance. New guy Guthrie Govan is a monster guitar player. I think there are still tickets for the L.A. show. Recommended.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri May 10, 2013 12:16 pm

Once in a while a magical album comes out. Steven Wilson's latest creation is one of those. Seeing the music performed live was sublime. Marco's drumming on the album for me was extreamly inspiring. His ideas, phrasings and so forth.

Side note: Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote a ways back the next time you see someone use the coined phrase. " I like the drummers phrasing" you would implode. Curious. What term should I use instead? Fucked up man. What's the substitute word? Guess your sick of people saying I love the way the guy phrases? Rant done.

I thought Marco's phrasings and song structure for drum parts were perfection on SW's last album. He's my new drum hero. Marco is the man!

Return to “Drumming Chat”