Recommended Music

Kurtis

Re: Recommended Music

Postby Kurtis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:07 pm

Will have to give that Jeff Watts album a listen.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:08 pm

Paul and Mr. Holmes,
With all due respect, where the hell y'all been?

There was quite possibly not a more important jazz record released in the 80's than "Black Codes." Compositions, harmonic and rhythmic sophistication, standing on the edge of the cliff type of playing... Tain, Branford, Kenny Kirkland, Charnett. They (and this record) had it all. People thought these guys were from Mars, coming right out of the late (1966-67) Miles thing, and actually using that as a musical launching point.

That was the band that Wynton took on the road, and in city after city blew peoples minds (and had musicians foaming at the mouth!!!! I saw them as a 15 year old kid, and was mystified!) And then they recorded this record. Remember this is after they played with Blakey, did the "Fathers And Sons" LP, both appeared with VSOP, Wynton had done his first with Tony, Ron, Herbie etc...

Glad you guys "found" it, better late than never. Congrats, your life will never be the same! Many consider this to be a benchmark, genre changing type of recording. Listen to it in context, this is 1985!!! Essential doesn't even begin to say it...

It would be perfectly understandable if both of you didn't post for about three years (or more) because you are "too busy" digesting this recording. Yup, it's that deep. Can't wait for the analysis, talk to you in 2016.

All in good fun,
MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:29 pm

:|
Got Blushda?
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:33 am

Two of my favourite contemporary singers together on stage. The recording isn't the best, but the
playing, the energy and the warmth is really great

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:19 am

Morgenthaler wrote:Two of my favourite contemporary singers together on stage. The recording isn't the best, but the
playing, the energy and the warmth is really great

I'm a big fan of Tingsek!
I saw him in Stockholm in 2011 for the first time (Kulturfestival) and fell in love with his music.
Here's a clip from that concert >>>

He's such a fantastic songwriter and singer >>>

Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:26 am

nomsgmusic wrote:Paul and Mr. Holmes,
With all due respect, where the hell y'all been?

I know right? I have no idea how this one slipped through the cracks. I was a huge fan of Wynton's from day one. I bought his first record (on vinyl) the day it came out. I saw him live with his brother and Herbie and Tony on that VSOP tour. Trumpet was my first instrument. I have about five or six of his records and most of Branford's as well as Jeff's, but I had never heard this one.

You're so right. This record is a freak show. It's gonna take awhile just to get my head around the compositions, let alone the playing.
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:33 am

When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:14 am

Me'Shell on bass with Jojo drummin? im there. Me'Shell is amazing. Ive seen her 3 times. Twice with Gene lake and once with Sean Rickman. She gets overlooked sometimes a s bass player but she is killin. hell of a pocket.
bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:08 am

Hah!

I was thinking earlier today how I wanted to hear this song with Jojo

and this song with Gene Lake

again
BennyAndTheSkins

Postby BennyAndTheSkins » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:25 am

Just downloaded "Black Codes From the Underground"........ great album, very swingin'.

Anyone have a link to the backstory on how Sting found Branford and Kenny for Dream of The Blue Turtles?

Return to “Drumming Chat”