Poll: What do you call this?

Postby GoAndPractice » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:09 pm

Side Stick
Rim Shot
Cross Stick
Stick Shot
Click
Rim Knock

I'd upload a pic but you all know what I'm talking about... That thing you do in RnB ballads.
Also, does anyone have any other names for it?

I know there's no right or wrong answer but I'm curious to see if there's a majority. It's interesting all the weird terms we have as drummers but how they can be different. I also see "drag" and "ruff" interchanged pretty often...
Morgenthaler

Re: Poll: What do you call this?

Postby Morgenthaler » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Cross stick
David Francis

Postby David Francis » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:50 am

Cross stick or rim click. Stick shot or rim shot mean something else to my mind.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:06 am

David Francis wrote:Cross stick or rim click.

Yep.

I just stumbled upon this article by T. Bruce Wittet >>>

http://www.tbrucewittet.com/2012/09/the ... ille-fall/
Last edited by amoergosum on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:10 am

Did not read.

It's called a cross stick.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:08 am

There are MANY (wonderful) sounds that a SD can produce, and the various names of these sounds are often confused by young drummers (and other musicians.)
The sound that you are asking about (very close to a wood block, used in traditional country, and on R&B ballads) is called a "cross stick."
The loud popping back beat accent when the stick strikes the rim and the head at the same time is called a "rim shot."
When you hold the bead of one stick down on the head (at somewhere around a 45 degree angle, based on your grip) and strike it with your other stick, it is called "stick on stick."
When you play the snare drum and press the stick against the head, inhibiting a bounce and NOT producing a buzz, it is called a "dead stroke."
When you play the rim ONLY (producing the metallic rim sound ONLY, "rim" or "rim click" is most often used.
Playing the shell of a SD or tom in a latin application (called cascara) is sometimes just called cascara, but sometimes called "shell."

A sound that I personally refer to as well, is within the bottom third of the head (most towards you.) Draw a semi circle from 8 o'clock to 4 o' clock (I call this part of the snare the New Orleans part of the drum.) If you play a "rim shot" with the taper part of your stick in this area (more towards the edge,) you get a hollow very ringy, funky rimshot-ISH type of sound often used in second line grooves. I always refer to that, as a "New Orleans Rim Shot."

MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:36 am

I always called it a cross-stick.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:36 am

"Kantslag" :lol: , which traslates to something like rim stroke. I guess cross stick or side stick if I'm talking to english speaking people.

Rim SHOT (BANG!!!), though they can be done in low volume, is something different on the other side of the dynamic spectrum to me.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:10 pm

iv'e only known it called as cross-stick and Vinnie plays the best cross-stick evah. you have to play it with butt end towards the rim. that way it's a nice and nice loud and pronounced sound.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:57 pm

Vinnie does have the best cross stick ever. It might be the density/shape of the sticks or it could be because he's the best drummer ever.
I'm always shocked when I hear a professional that can't produce a decent cross stick sound. You can't hear that that sounds bad?! Guess not.

Return to “Drumming Chat”