dave dicenso's update! and old video

YamahaPlayer

Re: dave dicenso's update! and old video

Postby YamahaPlayer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:00 pm

There are many.

You're only really seeing the few who have the opportunity and know the right people.
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:30 am

YamahaPlayer wrote:There are many.

You're only really seeing the few who have the opportunity and know the right people.

are there really that many?

we're not talking your average exceptional youtube drummer. we're talking dicenso. i think him, the gods we talk about here all the time, theyre gods for a reason. there arent *that* many of them. maybe quite a few, we discover a couple more each year (like this year, coleman, gergo, dicenso), but not that many. you wanna go one tier down, then i can more easily agree with you.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:07 am

I can sort of agree with YamahaPlayer. I've often thought that a significant part of the success of some folks is who they know. I'm not diminishing Dave's playing by any means, it's god-like. Do I think that he got where he is by connections? Partially, and it's very minimal and more of a side effect of his choices. But those connections were probably initiated by his monster playing and people skills. More than anything, I think he paid his dues by practicing, gigging and being in the right groups to showcase his skills to the right people.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:10 am

I would say yea, world wide definitely. It's hard to say any type of exact number. But there's MONSTERS out there, who just never get known because for any given reason they don't play out much, don't know the right people, don't live in the right place, prefer to work a "normal" job to support families, don't care to be famous, prefer to teach, etc...

Some ARE famous, just in their countries/regions etc, start punching in random names off companies rosters and you'll see what I mean. And even those are the endorsed ones.

I can think of even guys that live in LA, who are monstrous on a kit, and even prob never be mentioned on this board and few will ever see play publicly.
bananajou

Postby bananajou » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:40 am

this is still one of my favourites drum solos ever http://ia201110.eu.archive.org/3/audio/ ... 06_vbr.mp3

it's insane what he pulls off with just snare, bass, hats and one cymbal...
Victor Lipman

Postby Victor Lipman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks for the link!
It's an incredible solo.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:20 am

YamahaPlayer wrote:There are many.

To certain extent I think you're right. Just in terms of the math, there have to be amazing drummers out there who chose different career paths or had unusual obstacles to bigger success, and I often come across some gems when I travel. OTOH, I often find local legends aren't quite the superstars they're made out to be and, compared to the real deal, you can usually spot the reasons why they never made it.

That said, I think DiCenso is a five-star drummer with an unusual combination of amazing chops and unbelievable feel. That's very rare. He's not just a guy who can play a lot of stuff. I can imagine handling any big gig with taste and perfect execution. I don't think there are a lot of DiCenso's in the world. His picture is every bit worthy of being on the HOD masthead as the guys up there, IMO.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:06 am

Gaddabout wrote:Downloaded Two Ton Shoe's "Resoled." It's from 2002, recorded right before Dave left the band. Great stuff. DiCenso plays real aggressive, really pushes that band to play. He and the bass player had a great musical relationship. It's the kind of band I dream of forming some day ... socially acceptable pop/rock band with lyrics about normal stuff (no wizards or talking trees), no flute solos, but everyone in the band occasionally gets away with wanking. There's a killer fusion-y outro on most of these tunes, so if they didn't wank in the song, the wank on the way out, and it's good fun wanking, not DMB/Grateful Dead/I-just-smoked-my-weight-in-hash wanking.

There's one tune on there called 'Georgie.' It's straight up pop. Nice tune, maybe a little over the top pop-funk. At the end of the song, for no reason whatsoever, the guitarist starts this nice clean riff and DiCenso jumps in with some bastardized baion for four bars before the whole band launches into a funk jam. It cracks me up because it's so obviously tacked on, like they felt guilty for playing it straight for a song, but I don't care because the playing is SO FREAKIN' GOOD.

Thanks for the heads up, Matt! Great album indeed!

Bands like this one or Jellyfish really deserve more attention: great tunes, great players and a sound! <strike>unlike RHCP</strike>
maggimus

Postby maggimus » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:53 am

Dave w/Gary Cherone, pretty nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SroIQYPbCS8
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Fri May 20, 2011 9:45 pm

Dave DiCenso with The Steve Morse Band '98 >>>

This footage is a first-run-through-no-rehearsal rendition of the amazing Morse tune "On the Pipe".

Return to “Drumming Chat”