Gavin clinic tour!

robhaerr

Re: Gavin clinic tour!

Postby robhaerr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:57 am

Danny...

Sorry I missed you...you may have walked right by me.

It was great to meet Paul M at the Carls' Jr before the clinic.

Well done clinic by Gavin and Jim's Music....nice store! The sound guy did a great job mixing Gavin's kit with the tracks for demonstration...I am sure with some coaching from Gavin.

I hadn't been to a clinic a very long time...fun stuff to attend with a long time friend. Gavin's sense of humor and ability to explain his madness is refreshing.

Crowd was too big, along with a hectic time to bother for the colon-pipe photo.

Good times...
Rob
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:07 am

Nice to meet you too Rob, and your car is really a work of art! I couldn't find you after it was over, and I had to get home. I saw where Danny was sitting, but didn't get a chance to say hello after it was over. I'm glad there was such a big turnout for Gavin. He's a well spoken and very funny guy. Those Sonor drums sounded really nice. I'd love to really check some out some day.
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:32 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:Nice to meet you too Rob, and your car is really a work of art! I couldn't find you after it was over, and I had to get home. I saw where Danny was sitting, but didn't get a chance to say hello after it was over. I'm glad there was such a big turnout for Gavin. He's a well spoken and very funny guy. Those Sonor drums sounded really nice. I'd love to really check some out some day.

Paul...
Buzz and I had to get going, too, since we had a bit of a drive and an early Monday...so we said goodbye to Gavin as he came back in the room for signing stuff. It was cool that Buzz won a stick bag and a pair o sticks, right after we both said we never win anything and the first ticket announced was one number off from his.

The sound guy really did a nice job balancing everything...not much drum set was needed in the PA for the room, but he put in just enough for tone with the tracks.

Clinics are mucho work to organize and make happen. Big investment by the manufacturers and stores to get a clinic like that cruizing the country...not to mention Gavin had to endure getting shuffled all over the country and put on a "show". One leg of it can make it all go bad...but this one seemed to fire on all cylinders and that is great to see. It can be embarrassing if one of the parties doesn't pull their end of the bargain.

Rob
LADanny

Postby LADanny » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:37 pm

Sorry I didn't get to meet up with you guys.

Jim's music did a great job, and Gavin, WOW!!! I'm glad my friend asked the King Crimson question. GREAT and hilarious stories!! Gavin, you could be a stand-up comedian!

Danny
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:17 pm

Rupp's drums hosted the last night of Gavin's Zildjian clinic tour, and man, was it PACKED! Every drummer in Denver was there at Hermans Hideaway. (Always good to host a clinic at a bar!). Gavin played an older (94ish) Sonor HiLite kit that sounded F'in STUPID. Remember the Steve Smith cover of MD back in the early 90's? Just like that.. Gavin played great. And, while I expected a lot of displacement, what I didn't expect was a DEEP groove. I guess I was expecting an analytical approach, but what he gave was much more earthy and real. Besides being funny, witty and real, he was THE consumate pro and working drummer. Hands down one of the best clinics I've had the pleasure of witnessing. Thanks so much, Gavin!
D.
Gavin Harrison

Postby Gavin Harrison » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks Guys

it was great to meet a few of you - sorry I didn't have more time to hang out. I had a blast on the tour - there seems to be something about my accent that makes people laugh!!

cheers
Gavin
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:05 pm

Gavin Harrison wrote: there seems to be something about my accent that makes people laugh!!

Ha! No, you're quite a funny guy Gavin!

You seemed genuinely considerate and concerned with helping everyone learn a thing or two. It was really enjoyable, and you played and sounded great. Easily one of the best drum clinics I've ever attended.

I didn't get a chance to ask it then, but.... The first time I ever heard your drumming was on a Sam Brown record called "Stop!" which I picked up when it came out in the 80s. I loved that record and loved her songs and especially her powerful voice. I recall looking through the credits and seeing your name and being surprised that I'd never heard of you, as your playing sounded so polished, mature, inventive and interesting. What ever happened to her?

Also, what ever possessed you to play a 12" snare drum? What does that size snare give you that a conventional 14" doesn't?

Return to “Drumming Chat”