Keith Moon and black dots

nomsgmusic

Re: Keith Moon and black dots

Postby nomsgmusic » Sun May 25, 2014 4:06 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:
nomsgmusic wrote:Moon always sort of reminds me of a "rock version" of an avant-garde jazz drummer. Sort of a rock version of Andrew Cyrille, Milford Graves, Paul Motian, or Rashied Ali.

That's a very good analogy Mark.

Moon was a big reason I started playing drums, and probably one of my main early influences, along with Ginger Baker and a bunch of other pop/rock drummers. It was a sad day when he passed away, because he was so young. It also meant I'd never see him perform live. Moon and Bonham were two of my favorite drummers I never got to see live.

When I first heard Live at Leeds, it floored me the same way Tony Williams floored me on the early Miles live stuff. A complete masterpiece of drumming (and not just the playing, his SOUND too).

If you're not a big Moon fan, pick up Live at Leeds, Who's Next?, and Quadrophenia. Brilliant stuff.

Yo Paulie,

I just figured I'd (resurrect this thread and) let you know that I took your advice and picked up "Quadrophenia," and am really digging it. I remember buying the LP as a kid, and just not getting it. But, damn what a powerful record. I love how that happens. Sometimes you just aren't ready for something... Then, for some reason, years later you are ready for it, and it speaks to you. I guess that's what's happening here. I still ain't hearing "Live At Leeds" though, maybe it need another 20 years for me.

This is also happening for me with Elton John recently. I've been wearing out 11-17-70 and "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road." I'm also watching the "Classic Albums" for Goodbye Yellow Brick Road as well, pretty cool stuff (although I was hoping for more Nigel info!) I'm hearing a ton of Elton's influence on Toto from listening to "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road." Across the board, from Lukather's lyrical content, to Paich's playing and orchestrating, to Jeff's melodic tom fills and earlier sound.

Isn't music wonderful?
MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri May 30, 2014 10:45 am

This is incredible. His playing moves me, hits me like a brick in the head. It's something to behold for the flow, ballsiness and groove.

Gives me chills. I wish he never found booze and drugs.

Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:47 am

Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat May 11, 2019 7:48 am

Return to “Drumming Chat”