Louie Palmer

Kurtis

Re: Louie Palmer

Postby Kurtis » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:05 am

Tasteful playing. Those toms sound fabulous. Cymbals also sound great. Nice orchestration. Great playing Louie.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:20 am

Hey Louie- What I find great about your playing is the large, graceful strokes you get with your TRAD hand...I find that a very difficult thing to do! Props!
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
LP drums

Postby LP drums » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:47 am

Thanks, guys.

I just posted this preview video from the members area of Play Better Drums on my YouTube channel:

Running some special membership options including monthly, quarterly and 6 month options...you can check them out and the members area here - http://members.playbetterdrums.com
groober

Postby groober » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:21 am

Hi Louie,
Nice sound on the toms ! I'm guessing you're using emperors or similar ?
I saw on your first post you talked about using Pearl thin shells and now with those lovely Gretschs what head combo brings out the best overall sound ? Do you use anything to slightly deaden them ? And lastly .. it sounds like you tune them to a scale or particular notes ... Any tips ?
Love your videos and the new site. Will be signing up as soon as I've moved house.

Thanks
groober
LP drums

Postby LP drums » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:33 pm

I had a nightmare with Pearl drums...multiple kits sent to me with major defects. I decided to try a few different loaner kits and go through the brands to really see what everything was like (i'd already owned a Yamaha and Sonor by then) but the first kit I was given was a Gretsch (belonging to someone who's rather popular on this forum!) and it was and still is the best kit I have ever heard (and it was apparently not customised). The Gretsch I ordered is great but doesn't sound quite as good as that one...they do vary a little. But there is something unique about the Gretsch thing...there is a woody/throaty sound to the middle of the note which no Japanese/Chinese drums have.

I just use coated ambassadors...can never go wrong with those...unless I need a specific sound for recording it's always CA's...no deadening anywhere and I don't tune to any scale or reference...just whatever sounds good for the room and each drum! Not a fan of the feel of double ply heads...especially playing traditional grip.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:18 pm

LP drums wrote:The Gretsch I ordered is great but doesn't sound quite as good as that one...they do vary a little.

Give them time. They will sound better and better as time passes.

And once again, let me chime in with some praise too... Very nice playing Louie!!!
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:06 am

That's a cool phrase, thanks Louie.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:29 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:
LP drums wrote:The Gretsch I ordered is great but doesn't sound quite as good as that one...they do vary a little.

Give them time. They will sound better and better as time passes.

And once again, let me chime in with some praise too... Very nice playing Louie!!!

You're probably right because the nitrocellulose is not as initially hard as say, a polyurethene, but nitrocellulose should get much harder than poly could over time...but forget all that if you have a wrap or Satin. Peace.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:28 pm

Return to “Drumming Chat”