DW purchases Gretsch, Toca, LP, Gibralter

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

DW purchases Gretsch, Toca, LP, Gibralter

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:22 pm

http://news.armarketing.co.uk/NLI/ViewH ... FB37A4FE04

http://www.armarketing.co.uk/DW_images/ ... _FINAL.pdf

Drum Workshop, Inc. and Fender Musical Instruments have finalized an asset sale agreement to purchase owned and licensed percussion brands including Latin Percussion®, Toca® Percussion, Gretsch® Drums, Gibraltar Hardware and KAT® Percussion from Fender’s KMC subsidiary. Ovation® Guitars, and exclusive U.S. distribution rights for Sabian® Cymbals are also included in the transaction.

Wow.
Mark P

Re: DW purchases Gretsch, Toca, LP, Gibralter

Postby Mark P » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:34 pm

Press Release - 6th January 2015

DW® AQUIRES AMERICAN PERCUSSION BRANDS FROM FENDER®

Drum Workshop, Inc. and Fender Musical Instruments have finalized an asset sale agreement to purchase owned and licensed percussion brands including Latin Percussion®, Toca® Percussion, Gretsch® Drums, Gibraltar Hardware and KAT® Percussion from Fender’s KMC subsidiary. Ovation® Guitars, and exclusive U.S. distribution rights for Sabian® Cymbals are also included in the transaction.

“This is an amazing opportunity to extend our passion and commitment for the art of drumming,” said Chris Lombardi, President and CEO of Drum Workshop, Inc. We’re excited to welcome these legendary American brands to the DW family.”

Founded in 1972, the family owned and operated manufacturing company also boasts the award-winning DW Drums brand, as well as Pacific Drums and Percussion® (PDP). Details of the purchase are forthcoming, however it has been announced that DW Drums manufacturing operations will remain in California, Gretsch drum production will continue in South Carolina and LP’s offices will stay in New Jersey.

"We are extremely proud of our team's effort to nurture and grow each of the individual brands and are enthusiastic for their future,” said FMIC’s interim CEO and board member Scott Gilbertson. “We recognize the strategic opportunity for DW and are confident that they will be champions of the brands moving forward. It promises to be a very exciting year”, continued Lombardi. My father (DW Founder, Don Lombardi) and I are whole-heartedly dedicated to these already well-established brands and see a bright future ahead for the entire drum industry.”

The distribution of Sabian too, that's a big deal...

MP
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:21 pm

They better not fuck with my Gretsch drums. Fer realz. Although they could stand to use some upgrades in the hardware/tech side of things, but they've really improved a lot in the last few years. I hope this will be a good thing.
Last edited by gretsch-o-rama on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:55 pm

I feel ill.
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:23 pm

That great Gretsch sound just became that um..., you know,... DW sound.
Got Blushda?
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:44 pm

To be fair, it states no change in locations so I assume the Gretsch sound will still be as great (and unpredictable) as ever.

No if you'll excuse me, I need to go hug my Yamaha PHX and Recording Custom kits. *shiver*
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:49 pm

Yeah, I know, I know... the joke was just too easy to make.
Got Blushda?
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:54 pm

Can you imagine if DW starts making the shells for Gretsch? Yikes... DW used to sound pretty good when they were made with Keller shells.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:48 pm

How is that even possible? How many people do you know that bought DW drums?. Ratio wise very few compared to the other big brands out there.. Unreal. I wonder where the money comes from because sales wise I can't see them being able to purchase from KMC unless they went for dirt cheap.

Living in Canada it might be different than elsewhere but at my local stores DW's don't sell very well. PDP has good value and sell ok but not the main DW brands.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:49 pm

I think DW should use 1/128th plies and double 45 edges on their revamped Gretsch shells. Get rid of those really heavy duty die cast and go with some 1.8mm triple flange. Yeah, that'll fix it. :-)
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.

Return to “Drumming Chat”