Steve Smith Back in Journey

Steve Michaud

Steve Smith Back in Journey

Postby Steve Michaud » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:05 am

Never thought I would see the day--just like old times! When I was in the 8th grade (back in 80's), I used to go to sleep with Journey's "Escape," "Captured," along with the Police's "Zenyatta Mondatta" and "Ghost in the Machine" set to play on my turntable every night. Should be nolstalgic....

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/journey- ... hers-tour/
langmick

Re: Steve Smith Back in Journey

Postby langmick » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:44 pm

Wow, that's incredible, 51 shows, and all will be either sellouts or close.

I'm not sure he's the same guy, his hands are not as heavy as they used to be, but it should be interesting no doubt. Can't wait to see a show!

Maybe Perry will make an appearance...
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:12 pm

Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:46 pm

WoW...that is cool! This is a one time moment...I will see Journey now.
To see Steve play HIS parts from days gone by...agree, I miss the old Smith
from 1981. He was a man among boys playing drums...smooth as glass,
effortless, so talented. Journey Captured is a masterpiece of Live drumming.

Thanks Steve for this newz.

Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Steve Michaud

Postby Steve Michaud » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:53 pm

I believe this is from Steve Smith's FB page:

"I have been invited to tour with Journey for the 2016-2017 touring season and I have agreed to play drums for the group during this period!

I’ve enjoyed working with Journey guitarist Neal Schon for many years and playing on his solo albums, including The Calling and his latest release Vortex. In fact, Neal and I still share the creative chemistry we had when I was a member of Journey. When we work in the studio on his music, it's essentially just the two of us, jamming, writing, arranging and recording.

Over the years, he has mentioned that he'd like to have me tour with Journey again. The invitation has always been appreciated but with my busy schedule always being booked at least a year in advance, the timing was never right. Some changes within the band have once again brought me the invitation to tour and this time we were able to plan in advance and work a Journey tour into my schedule.

Like an actor capable of playing a wide variety of roles, I'm a musician who enjoys, and is comfortable performing, diverse genres of music. My group Vital Information, as well as the other great jazz and world music artists that I tour and record with, remain a musical priority. I will also be performing with them during the next two years and by 2018 will resume my career full-time as a touring and recording jazz musician.

My decision to tour with Journey in 2016-2017 is based on many factors:

My relationship with Neal is strong and we enjoy playing together. I've been in touch with Jonathan Cain and Ross Valory and we have a good rapport both personally and musically. All four of us share a common history and have created some enduring music together. I've met and spent time with Arnel Pineda and have great respect for him both as a person and vocalist.

I am excited to revisit a role that was a formative part of my career, performing music that has touched many people for more than 30 years. My kids Ian, Elizabeth, Kasia and Zac have not seen me play with the group (Ian has but he was too young to remember), it will be fun to have them see me perform with the band. Finally, I can say "yes" to the many fans who have asked if I would tour with Journey again.

My hope is that Journey fans will appreciate a new line-up similar to the Escape and Frontiers era -- and will want to revisit this timeless music with me. By bringing my musical experience to the table along with the years that the members of Journey have spent touring, I'm sure this new incarnation of Journey will develop its own special magic. It's going to be amazing. I look forward to seeing all the fans on the road!"
AllenS

Postby AllenS » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:18 pm

That's cool! I wonder how Omar Hakim feels now...heh.

Journey may have been cheesy (especially once Perry and Cain joined), but they did make some well-crafted, memorable melodies. And Steve Smith could play a power ballad like no one else, back in the day....
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:09 pm

AllenS wrote:That's cool! I wonder how Omar Hakim feels now...heh.

Journey may have been cheesy (especially once Perry and Cain joined), but they did make some well-crafted, memorable melodies.

Cheesy? Not at all. If you investigate the music and really listen, you'll see that there's a lot going on, both from a harmonic/rhythmic angle, as well as the production side of things. Much respect to Journey, especially with Steve Smith and even more so with Steve Perry.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:28 pm

Much respect to Journey, especially with Steve Smith and even more so with Steve Perry.

You lost me on the Steve Perry insert. Perry isn't touring.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:09 pm

I know that, but I meant that it would be even sweeter if Perry was involved. Nothing against Arnel, but his singing doesn't do it for me.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:19 pm

Shame drugs got a hold of Dean. Guy can sing like no other and play drums like a rock star. Not a journey fan. Good music tho. Raised on radio is a good album. Larry London is the man. Smith played one track. I'd rather stay at home and stare at a white wall and watch the floaters in my eyes dance around than attend a journey concert. Bring it in for a hug folks.

Return to “Drumming Chat”