I'd Hit That podcast interview series

chris perra

Re: I'd Hit That podcast interview series

Postby chris perra » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:24 pm

Great podcast from Randy Cooke... Great info for people thinking of relocating to a city like L.A.

http://idhitthatpodcast.podomatic.com/e ... 2_20-08_00
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:42 pm

Since IHT seems to be off-air nowadays, is anyone checking out the Drummer's Resource Podcast? It can get a little cornball in places, and it often makes me miss Dave from IHT's underrated skill as an interviewer... but Nick has had some really killer names on in the past few months and the interviews have revealed some interesting stuff. Todd Sucherman was on recently, I dug what he had to say. There's an older one from a couple years back with Ed Soph that was really great.

For the most part, the interviews are pretty interesting and he's getting better as an interviewer; the questions are less bland and obvious (which could be a real drag in the earlier days of this podcast). Dennis and Kenny A. are recent guests... going to listen to them on the way to/from the gig tonight. Just curious if anyone else has tuned in.
Cheggs

Postby Cheggs » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:01 pm

bensdrums wrote:Since IHT seems to be off-air nowadays, is anyone checking out the Drummer's Resource Podcast? It can get a little cornball in places, and it often makes me miss Dave from IHT's underrated skill as an interviewer... but Nick has had some really killer names on in the past few months and the interviews have revealed some interesting stuff. Todd Sucherman was on recently, I dug what he had to say. There's an older one from a couple years back with Ed Soph that was really great.

For the most part, the interviews are pretty interesting and he's getting better as an interviewer; the questions are less bland and obvious (which could be a real drag in the earlier days of this podcast). Dennis and Kenny A. are recent guests... going to listen to them on the way to/from the gig tonight. Just curious if anyone else has tuned in.

Definitely miss I'd Hit That. I went back through a bunch of my favourites episodes a month or so ago. So good.

I've also been tuning in to Drummer's Resource & agree with you on most points. Nick can be a bit hard to bear at times, but most often the calibre of his guest outweighs his flaws as an interviewer. He's got some impressive names on there!

Nick needs to stop saying the phrase "cognisant of your time" - drives me insane haha
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:22 pm

This one is pretty good too. Bill ZIldjian is a good host, laid back and comfortable.

http://drummeradio.com/
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:58 pm

The thing I miss about Dave from IHT is he understood that a good interview is a conversation and was really good at keeping the interviews that way, so they tended to reveal a lot more about the guest's personality and perspective on things. He didn't have an agenda other than to get to know the guest on a little deeper level. That's most interesting to me, because it gives me a deeper insight to who they are as people and I think that's what's really at the core of the creative voice in any artist or musician (or whatever creative endeavor). You just can't get there with questions like, "how do you practice?" or "what do you think other people should practice?"... FFS let's MOVE ON MAN.

I'm not saying Nick's a tool, I think he's more in tune with his audience and the social media generation who want quick tips and easy answers such as "practice these things and you will be great." So I think he tries to keep a format that works for everyone, I get that. And he's had some great players on there that do get into some good stuff and kind of politely brush off the cornball questions.

Gotta say I was a little let down with the Dennis interview though... it was pretty awkward in spots.
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:29 am

I too miss I'd Hit That. Just the other day I looked at the FB page and noticed that Episode 100 was titled "All Things Must Pass", so I'm assuming it's over. Dave also wrote a play that's premiering soon, so I think he's moved on to other creative endeavors.
As far as Drummers Resource goes, Nick does a good job. He's getting the TOP dudes on there, so he's doing something right.
With Dennis, I thought he did pretty well as, let's face it, Dennis is not a warm and fuzzy guy and isn't anybody's choice for public speaker of the year. To me, from the clinics I've attended and interviews I've listened to, he's always kind of come across with an aloofness and pissy, bothered, holier-than-thou stink about him.
Just my opinion.
Anybody check out Robyn Flans online interviews? Now SHE'S hard to listen to!
D.
Greg Moore

Postby Greg Moore » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:06 am

Well, I may be a little late to the party but I just noticed that "I'd Hit That" appears to be back as of last month (Oct 15, 2017), with episode 101. The accompanying text begins with, "After a 19 month hiatus, 'I'd Hit That' returns with percussionist Lenny Castro". New episodes also include Dan Weiss, Tim Pierce, Owen Biddle, Jason McGerr, and Zach Danziger.

I've been going back and re-listening to previous shows over the past year, so I'm really glad to see Dave's back and just wanted to pass it on.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:50 pm

Yeah he's been back a few weeks.

This is what I listen to during my rather long commute to work. It's not enough of course, so there's also

Drummers Weekly Groovecast
Modern Drummer podcast
Drum Showroom podcast

There are several more, too.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:20 pm

"I've also been tuning in to Drummer's Resource & agree with you on most points. Nick can be a bit hard to bear at times"

Steve "Big Daddy" Holmes is perfect for this! How many times do I have to say this...
No doubt SH would KILL doing interviews! The older you get, the more depth you
can deliver...I used to use Charlie Rose as an example...hard times for some big name
cats today...Matt L went down hard today, but they still had excellent skills. Having your
own drum forum for over 20 years only enhances the credibility, also an active player,
great teaching skills...I'm telling you, this is a home run!
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:39 am

Joe I would Love to do more interviews - I will for sure but committing to a re-occurring thing is just not realistic. Steve Orkin and i were talking about doing a Dave interview in the future - I think he would do it and it's silly of me to not capitalize on that.

Return to “Drumming Chat”