VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Rudy_Ment

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby Rudy_Ment » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:22 pm

No drums no life, know drums know life...
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:22 am

Brandon Burr

Postby Brandon Burr » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:22 pm

I'm going through old vids, and I came across one that another user on this forum produced, years ago. I'm aware that the Vinnie/Dave-trading part of this vid has been up on YT for a while, but I haven't seen the Acoustic Band section posted. If it has and this is old news, sorry. Anyway, a huge cheers/thank you to whomever that guy was that captured this gold...

PS - If you're that impatient (shame on you!), go to 36:00.
"They're just chunky enough...a little chocolatey..." - VC (12)
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:53 pm

Vinnie kills on this tune. This has been a favorite fusion album ever since it came out. Car ride to work is very entertaining.

Someone needs to do a documentary on Vinnie and soon. He's not of this earth and need to find out why he came here to bless us all with drum genius.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:44 am

^^ Wow that's pretty insane phrasing and grooving.
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:54 pm

I watched a video on Cymbalholics that Paul Marangoni posted, it was an interesting interview with Gary Husband. So then I decided to watch an interview with Steve Vai by the same interviewer. Vai talks in detail about how at 18 years old he spent months as a Berklee student transcribing tons of Zappa's work, sending this stuff to Zappa, then meeting him, then Zappa asking him to transcribe more of his work (he had about 60 albums at this time) and eventually getting in the band. In this video, the interviewer asks him about transcribing what Vinnie played. It's pretty interesting. Click on the video, it starts at where he asks the question.

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:02 pm

Vinnie has energy for days. He plays it all in this tune.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Kurtis...holy mother of complex that tune killed...
and the guitar sound kept it together for me...
what a tone! Had to be a let loose Vinnie session.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:27 pm

Just back from the Herbie show.

Much preferred this show to the last time I saw him. Everyone was playing safe then and Vinnie was holding back a loy. This time it was back to, although sober I hope, a real 70s fusion vibe and it's the first time I've felt Lionel really fit. Still, it's the afro harmony singing that does it and Herbie obviously loves the sounds. As a guitar player, I'll never really be sold. James had solid feel. Not much soloing, though.

Herbie does a lot of the same stuff, especially at shows like this, but it sounded really different this time.

For the drum nerdy stuff: Vinnie was playing his new signature snares, regular 6-piece Gretsch, but must have been a 20" bass drum. Ride far right again with X cymbal up on the right and one splash above the china. Slightly different from the vids so far. Mostly matched grip except for brushes and the funky stuff. Definetly Vinnie, but there seems to be more back to the roots and nod to Tony and Billy thing going on. Not overused, but certainly not shy with the double pedal.

Definetly nice to see him indoors again, pretty close up and in a venue that's really controlled. You couldn't even go in or out at all between songs.
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:38 pm

I'll be seeing them the 17th. Judging by that video, I'm in for a treat.

Being able to see the interplay between someone with the miraculous capability of Vinnie against the pedigree and matching ability of Herbie, after they've spent years developing a rapport is what dreams are made of.

Vinnie is in full beast mode currently.

Return to “Drumming Chat”