VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:01 am

Things have become practical and cheap. That's why we chose what we do.

I remember having all my stuff on CD, then getting some favourites on vinyl and certainly feeling different when listening to it.

How we react to analog vs. digital distorion is a real thing.

There have been attempts to do someting about todays formats like DVD audio or Pono.

Everything is going in the direction of being able to do things ourselves. I know I would have been doing so. It's all in how we use stuff.

Being a session musician is long over. It's main our old heroes grasping on to the last little pieces of it. Not much available for new guys and gals, mainly reproducing stuff that's already been done for a certain type of TV show I know that I'm personally quite tired of.

Things will have to change, though.

For about 2 decades now bars and clubs have mainly been hiring 1 or 2 man bands playing along to midi files. People are tired of that, so it pretty much went away. The issue now is budget to hire those inbetween things that are not the big stars nor locals playing almost for free.

Engineers. The goods ones, the ones worth hiring are too expensive. The small studio people I've worked with aren't worth it. They know too little about sound, too little about music. Give me a room and the basic gear and I'll do a much better job simply because I have ears and I care.

Had I done my dream project I'd hire someone for sure, but I'd be well prepared and get it done in 2-3 days.
fandaz

Postby fandaz » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:44 am

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:10 am

I've been listening Robben Ford "Supernatural" the whole day, so classy !!!
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:28 pm

Posted before? Good stuff anyway!

Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:33 pm

btw, on the wav vs mp3 thing. If you don´t have a treated room and quality monitors, most tests will be pointless.
On some mixes the difference between 320 and wav will be more evident than others. Everyone is jumping ITB, so the debate is old imho.
Great music will prevail no matter what...
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:49 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:Great music will prevail no matter what...

That was never true, and will never be true. PROMOTED music will prevail no matter what.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:58 pm

Avi_drums wrote:Can you name one big iconic rock drum sound recorded/mastered digitally in the box?

No, but that's only because I haven't listened to any new rock in over twenty years. The last thing I bought that was almost rock was a record by Nik Kershaw, but I honestly have no idea how it was recorded. Sounded good nonetheless.

I played (and programmed) drums on a record produced by Tom Allom of Judas Priest fame back in the late 80s. This was recorded 100% digitally and it sounded pretty big:

Last edited by Paul Marangoni on Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:06 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:

That was never true, and will never be true. PROMOTED music will prevail no matter what.

WTF? Promoted like pop music? I´m talking Bach, Shostakóvich, Piazzolla, Miles...
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:22 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:
Paul Marangoni wrote:

WTF? Promoted like pop music? I´m talking Bach, Shostakóvich, Piazzolla, Miles...

You said "prevail". Good music will always find listeners, and probably stand the test of time, but only promoted music will prevail.
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:54 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Avi_drums wrote:[color=#CCCCCC]

Can you name one big iconic rock drum sound recorded/mastered digitally in the box?

No, but that's only because I haven't listened to any new rock in over twenty years. The last thing I bought that was almost rock was a record by Nik Kershaw, but I honestly have no idea how it was recorded. Sounded good nonetheless.

I played (and programmed) drums on a record produced by Tom Allom of Judas Priest fame back in the late 80s. This was recorded 100% digitally and it sounded pretty big:

You're a great drummer...I know you'd sound even better tracking to 2" with killer preamps.

Return to “Drumming Chat”