Can we just talk Gretsch drums a bit.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Can we just talk Gretsch drums a bit.

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue May 22, 2018 7:15 am

Ok.

So it seems finances are slowly on the rise again. Enough for me to order the first pieces in not too long.

It's a bit more involved in a small country like this. I can't just go try everything in a store and get what sounded the best and had no issues. I know quality control has improved. There was a time where I noticed lots of complaints, but it's been a while. Just because of exchange rates, shipping, taxation etc.. we are in SQ2 and PHX territory. Just how it is. Not going custom color wouldn't really save me anything. Everything mid range and above is special order here anyway.

In any case I'm going for the biggest domestic retailer/chain 4Sound. Per Hillestad that some of you may know about(his band Lava was sort of Norway's Toto for while) runs the drum department there. It just feels like the safest way to go.

I'm probably just gonna get a white wrap. It'sa not just to copy Vinnie, it's just a neutral color and I'm not really that into things that make extreme visual statements. There are only 2-3 other colors I'd consider. When the time comes for som Broadkasters I'll probably go with that antique pearl if it's still available.

I think what I'm thinking about the mosty is suspension or not. Apart from some old Pearl and Premier stuff I've never played anything where the toms weren't suspended. Physics are fine, but hearing Vinnie's kit on something so neutral as the Live Muse vid is also pretty much the perfect drum sound for me.

Paul talked about some changes with vent holes before he defected to Japan.

Just discuss if you have any opinions.
Paul Marangoni

Re: Can we just talk Gretsch drums a bit.

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue May 22, 2018 7:31 am

Vinnie's white drums have all been worked on by Chris Heuer. I have had him work on my drums in the past too. What you're hearing isn't a typical Gretsch thing. In my experience, suspension mounts will make the drums sound more consistent and uniform, but it's not a huge improvement. I would say they sound 8% better. It just depends on what you want, and if you're willing to put up with all sorts of extra hardware to mount them.

With my last Gretsch set, I started off with the supplied RIMS mounts for about a year, and then switched to Yamaha's YESS mounts. I preferred the Yamaha, which is one of the reasons I'm back to playing the drums. I think the newer Gretsch mounts are fine too, and if I were getting new Gretsch I would just have them mount them directly to the shell. Tama's new mounts (on their new SLP line) look interesting in pictures too.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue May 22, 2018 8:35 am

From a practical standpoint I guess no suspension is aluring. It seems the part of the tone I find most attractive isn't dependant on it.

I would guess Chris having worked on most of Vinnie's drums. There even was a thought of ordering and sending them to him to take a look. Warranty would probably be over then and having an edge guy overseas doesn't make too much sense. On the other hand I'd know everything would be great and how often do edges really need maintenance. There's supposed to be a few good guys I've just never used one.

I saw the vid where Louie Palmer played a Heuer set. Seems to be the same finish, so might even be the kit Vinnie used on tour. They sound nice in a cleaner sort of way. I believe them to be sort similar construction, but 5-ply instead of 6, I think.

My Radio King is still in the US, so thought I'd have him look at that. Sounds like he's a fan of those, but not their consistency.

Maybe I should contact Chris anyway and see what he can do. I'm hardly a hoarder, I just want that perfect kit, so it might be worth it.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue May 22, 2018 9:35 am

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:I would guess Chris having worked on most of Vinnie's drums.

Some, but not all. The blue ones were from the factory, and he also has a brand new black bop kit also from the factory which he says is the best sounding kit he's ever played.
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:46 am

I bought a new Brooklyn Kit 20, 10, 16 without playing them first because I also live where you cant get to try stuff much...couldnt be happier. Using the GTS suspension mount. Have owned Ludwig, Yamaha (MC & Oak) and DW.........I'm happy with the Gretsch. Yamaha Oak kit was also real nice in retrospect. DW kick was a nice instrument...toms..meh not so much. Louis Heur Kit sounds great
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Tue May 22, 2018 10:19 am

I have 4 Gretsch kits. My favorites are NOT the flagship USA Custom.

I have Gretsch New Classic, Brooklyn, Broadkaster (2016), and USA Custom (mid 2000s) kits. To my ears the Brooklyn is the most versatile in terms of tuning range. Broadkaster is a bop kit and sounds good tuned up high, which is where I keep it, but has trouble anywhere else. I loved the New Classic line and have a kit with 18 and 22" bass drums, 10-12-14-16 toms, and 5.5/6.5 snares. I get lots of compliments on those drums in any configuration, and that was the best mount Gretsch ever did IMO. The USA Custom is my least favorite of the 4 Gretsch kits. I got a great deal that I couldn't pass up but I've never been super happy with it. Could be a bearing edge thing I suppose, but if I were to have them redone I'd want to send them to an expert, and that is considerably expensive by the time it's all over with.

Since you mention living in SQ2 territory, it made me think about recently listening to the I'd Hit That podcast episode with Chris Heuer. Without saying it explicitly, he 'implied' that Sonor were the only drums he's ever put on the leveling table and seen perfect from the manufacturer. That alone peaks my interest, but I've also liked Sonor stuff I've seen and heard in the past. I've been thinking a lot about selling off the USA Custom to invest in some SQ2s but selling drums is PITA and right now I'm pretty happy with what I've got.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue May 22, 2018 10:56 am

It is sad that the New Classics aren't made anymore. Goes for Club Cutoms, too. Had their own thing and reasonable prices.

Sonor is pretty popular now probably a lot due to Benny and Gavin. Nicko is of course the favourite of many kids, but they have what they, or rather their parents can afford and he's new.

SQ2s can be many things and are of course pricey. I haven't played them to be honest. Since getting serious about the drums I've only played the Accent Beech because that's what I have at work right now. They're good drums, but not my cup of tea.

Good quality control I think, but I have a story regarding a custom ordered SQ2 that says something very different. A placement and angle of a BD mount pointing towards let's say more than just one glass of schnaps.

Beauty in the USA Custom is a bit of both the character and how they cut through. It relates to a general taste I have in the other instruments I play, too. Those are my favorites and then the Brooklyns, but for a completely different thing.

Yes. For a cleaner sounding kit that Heuer is a winner for me compared to other modern offerings. I did catch the interview.

I guess I see the line in your tastes, but I'm on the other line of that specrum myself. Brooklyns are my least favourite. In my case think it's sort of gimme diecast or a thinner shell. My taste there isn't really unique to Gretsch, so there might be something to it. My Longo breaks that rule, but because I generally tune it lower than all the others it's just a different thing altogether.
Last edited by Odd-Arne Oseberg on Tue May 22, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Tue May 22, 2018 3:39 pm

If you are going to spend alot of money and you want a specific thing, why not look for a custom drum builder?. Resale value won't be as high but you'll get what you want..

There must be a builder in Sweden that does good work.. You're in Sweden? The drum world unless you have a specific shell type that is only made by one company is very much American Chopper.
Get the parts that someone else makes, cut bearing edges and holes do finish and assemble.. A competent builder with lots of experience will be able to build you what you want. If you knwo what wood, bearing edges and type of hardware you desire it should be doable...
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue May 22, 2018 3:58 pm

chris perra wrote:If you are going to spend alot of money and you want a specific thing, why not look for a custom drum builder?. Resale value won't be as high but you'll get what you want..

There must be a builder in Sweden that does good work.. You're in Sweden? The drum world unless you have a specific shell type that is only made by one company is very much American Chopper.
Get the parts that someone else makes, cut bearing edges and holes do finish and assemble.. A competent builder with lots of experience will be able to build you what you want. If you knwo what wood, bearing edges and type of hardware you desire it should be doable...

I'm in Norway. JG drums makes snares and there some acrylics being made by http://ruffdrums.com/ . There's probably someone else

I sort of know Gretsch is the thing I want. Known that for a long time. Have a bunch of their snares. I don't really care, but yes resell and even just the name plays a part today. Lots of USA Customs and first generation Renowns in Norway, but 99% bop kits. Considering how many copies there are of USA custom drums, noone actually gets t right. Even Starclassics are as far as I know initally based on them.

Though yes. That Heuer kit represents one of the first more modern and cleaner things I actually like, but not based on much else but that vid.

Seems I got my answers pretty quickly. Got some PMs, too.

So, it will probably be USA Custom with no suspension first, then a few Broadkaster drums for a more specific purpose and then should the need arise for something more modern and resonant a Heuer or something Heuer has messed with. I can't even imagine anything else I would want as serious regular use tools.

I have a custom builder in mind for other stuff, though. Mainly a 5 piece conga set. I was equally infatuated with those. Love at first soundwave. Lots of money, though. Actually they're pretty standard prized, but I want 5 from the same trunk. Will be a long time until I can afford them, but I'm having him build me a pair of bongos and a djembe first.
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Wed May 23, 2018 2:38 am

chris perra wrote:If you are going to spend alot of money and you want a specific thing, why not look for a custom drum builder?. Resale value won't be as high but you'll get what you want..

I think if you're spending a lot of money and getting THE kit, the heart plays as much of a role as the head. So it's not just about getting the specs, it's about everything else. So I'm with Odd-Arne, I'd get a Gretsch for that same reason (even though hearing the I'd Hit That with Heurer REALLY made me want a kit built by him...)

Paul Marangoni wrote:Some, but not all. The blue ones were from the factory, and he also has a brand new black bop kit also from the factory which he says is the best sounding kit he's ever played.

This is such a nerdy question I hesitate to ask, but... You know Vinnie's natural finish Gretsch, that he used with Sting (and on the Songs and Visions gig, and other stuff around his first 'coming out' with Grestch) in the mid-to-late 90s? Mercury Falling Tour. I heard that kit a couple of times, including very briefly not through the PA - just the sound of the drums. It's still the best sounding kit I've ever heard in my life - it's my ideal of what drums should be. Can you tell me anything about it? Is it just a USA custom in regular Vinnie sizes, or is there anything specific about that particular set...?
____
Ned

Return to “Drumming Chat”