Female Drummers

Julián Fernández

Re: Female Drummers

Postby Julián Fernández » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:20 am

Won´t argue the fact that most of the best drummers are males, but there´s plenty of girls (more and more every year) getting huge gigs... Prince, Jeff Beck, CeeLo Green, Mike Stern, Alicia Keys and many others played big gigs with female drummers... And I also believe that girl Anika sounds great on that tracks...
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:06 am

Can´t compare her to MB or JB, but I like her and I also love Prince no matter what... :D

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:57 am

Julián Fernández wrote:Can´t compare her to MB or JB, but I like her and I also love Prince no matter what... :D

Great performance...very nice groove & pocket.
Here's some information about the new band >>>
http://mashable.com/2014/11/03/princes-3rdeyegirl-snl/

smoggrocks

Postby smoggrocks » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:28 am

not to beat a dead horse, but the main reason you don't see more x-chrome drummers is because a) there are proportionately less of them and b) they don't get as many (or the same) playing opportunities. when's the last time you subbed out your gig to a woman?

it's true that it should all be about the music/playing, but with women there's always these ancillary factors (cough, cough; looks, sexism) that cause people to focus on stuff outside the music. these factors can work for or against you. if you're an overweight woman drummer, they'll tell you to lose weight. anyone asking abe laboriel jr. to lose weight? if you're gay, they'll tell you to go find a lesbian band. if you're hot and maybe not so good, they might take a chance on you. [but most likely, not]. a very famous female drummer told me that back in the day, there were bandleaders who flat-out said, 'no women on the bandstand.' so how was one supposed to really make a name for oneself? if it wasn't for clark terry and wayne shorter, a lot of women players would not have been in the limelight.

i auditioned for a band a few years back that loved my playing, but didn't choose me. when i finally cornered the bassist weeks after and asked why, he said it really was about gender. they found a guy who was basically as good but he was a guy, he had tattoos, and they wanted the testosterone factor. well alright, then there. conversely, a few months back, i was offered a gig partly because i was female. the guy simply wanted to give me a chance. even though it would've been nice to have gotten it based on ability, this person had never heard me play. he went on a referral and took a risk. i practiced hard and did well on the gig, which was rough because there was no band rehearsal prior. but they liked me and asked me back.

as for players, i haven't seen her around in a long time, but sylvia cuenca was a strong player. dena tauriello of antigone rising is a great drummer. not a fan of their music, but i've seen her play completely outside of it and she's wonderful. evelyn glennie is a legend. i like anika's stuff. and camille gainer jones, whom i studied with a long time back, has been playing forever and gaining more ground. as a bandleader, i don't like all her compositions, but she can lay down so many styles and has great hands. steve coleman thought so, too, when he hired her. i've been happy to see her career continue to rise skyward.

just because there are players like meg white doesn't mean there aren't great female players out there. they're just not all getting seen. the very fact that there's a thread here titled female drummers is proof of that.

anyhow, here goes camille. some of this i'm meh on, other stuff is killer.

an exciting thing is the new crop of young drummers who demonstrate discipline and skill and are getting exposure for their ability, like senri kawaguchi. TLC, Camille, Sheila, Hilary all came up at a time when the cards were stacked against them and they were going at their craft with few people behind them. attitudes have changed, people all think their kid is a special snowflake, and many of these people give their young daughters the tools they need to thrive (education being the biggest). ultimately, that can only be a good thing.

Preserve wildlife...throw a party.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:13 am

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sun May 17, 2015 12:17 am

Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:23 pm

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:24 am

Those girls just play alone ? No bands ? :o
Jeez... :-(

Well, I always think that for MOST of the girls drumming, if it was a bloke instead, he won't even be mentionned anywhere...

Gimme some TLC, Cindy, Sheila E. anyday, musicians playing music with real musicians.

Am I olds chool already or what ? :o :-)
I hope so. :p
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:06 am

Rodge wrote:Those girls just play alone ? No bands ? :o
Jeez... :-(

Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:47 pm

Return to “Drumming Chat”