Site Admin

Re: Steve Holmes vids

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:10 am

Bored at Work - did you get the ride??
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 pm

New vid on a cool Gergo lick - includes a clip from the lesson I took from him.

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:20 pm

Thanks Steve! Explained perfectly. Picking up on a lick like this while he chops away in your drum room. Thanks for keeping the love alive.
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:16 am

Steve Holmes wrote:Bored at Work - did you get the ride??

Yes, I did, but I haven't really had a chance to play it yet.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:25 pm

I actually like your interpretation better Steve than Gergo's high speed no breath versions.
I think this would be one of those mindbenders Live played at a slower groove (your first
metro setting) and then the fill played at double speed for effect...definitely a "WTHeck
was THAT" fill! Tempo is everything to me...Gergo blasts through this so fast it doesn't
breath enough to grasp the groove and impact. I also think combos of this on ride cymbal
would be sweet...
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
geoffgilldrums

Postby geoffgilldrums » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:29 am

Pocketplayer wrote:I actually like your interpretation ...
agreed ! digestible as 16ths with these 2 bar phrases. i think this odd grouping would also KILL in jazz context as triplets around 180-200 BPM.
Atlanta drummer. If it grooves, I dig it !
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:33 am

bored at work wrote:
Steve Holmes wrote:Bored at Work - did you get the ride??

Yes, I did, but I haven't really had a chance to play it yet.

So I spent about an hour checking out the K Dry Light Ride yesterday and I really like it. It has a really nice tone, lovely stick response and its very crashable. However, it's really quiet. I recorded it with the EAD yesterday and you can hardly hear it in the mix, compared to the K Custom Medium. But it will do what I want it to, which is to be a contrast to the main ride that I have or an alternative gig that's more acoustic.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:15 am

JOE - agreed it sounds a bit cluttered at fast tempos and breathes a bit at slower ones. I still can't get my mind around how Gergo can play all that stuff so fast.

KURTIS - thanks man!It was fun having my own "open counseling" with Gergo in the shed. If we ever hang I'll have to show you the highlights of that vid!!

B.A.W.: Glad you like the ride - I suppose I'm not surprised at the volume difference you mentioned. I'm just to used to it at this point I guess. Knowing this ride is baseline for me please let me know if you encounter others along the same vibe.

Thanks for checking it out folks! I did some more filming yesterday bit mostly to cut little 60 second instagram clips from. May end up on YT, we'll see. ;)
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:27 am

Maybe you've said Steve but it must be simply wicked sitting 5 feet from him while he plays your kit. Was there anything that really surprised you? We all know he is insane but what a cool thing...
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:41 am

What surprised me was his lack of specificity when practicing something. In other words, he doesn't practice something super slow breaking it down like I have to because I'm dumb. He has the kind of talent and drive the he brute force plays stuff over and over and it fits on the grid because of that talent and drive. It's very impressive but entirely foreign. He's a drumming beast.

Return to “Drumming Chat”