Cleaning Yamaha Lacquer Shells

kinkymook

Cleaning Yamaha Lacquer Shells

Postby kinkymook » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:14 pm

Hey, guys!
Just picked up a 6pc Yamaha Oak Custom from Rupps in Denver, need to give them a thorough clean and wanted to know what you’ve had success with for both the shell and hardware.
I want to clean and polish the lacquer finish and possibly use something other than steel wool and Windex on the rims (although it’s worked just fine all these years).
Anybody ever put a light WD40 coating on their hoops/rims?
Thanks for any and all advice/tips/info.
D.
Paul Marangoni

Re: Cleaning Yamaha Lacquer Shells

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:01 pm

Are they in rough shape? If they just need cleaning, use a bit of "multi surface Pledge" or that Dunlop stuff.

I have never put WD40 on hoops. Some rubbing compound (not too abrasive) or chrome cleaner should be fine. Use sparingly.
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:26 am

They’re in great shape, Paul. A couple of nicks here and there, but nothing crazy. I just feel like up close there’s a slight haze over the York Honey Amber. I’ve read that Windex can do that to a lacquer finish(?). There’s a lot of conflicting info on the “inter-webs” :| concerning using Pledge, Murphy’s Lemon Oil, Windex, etc. I know a lot of cats on HOD have Yamaha’s so I figured I’d ask here. Chrome is all exceptional as we don’t have humidity here in CO. WD is a moisture repellant, so I wondered if anyone had ever used it. In the past I’ve used steel wool and Windex with satisfying results.
D.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:25 am

I know the exact finish you're talking about. I did a session on a set of those once. Really great sounding drums. The snare was great too.

Try that Dunlop stuff. I've used it many times. I have also used Martin Guitar Polish quite a bit (just make sure to shake the bottle well first). Steel wool on chrome is really only for last resort cleaning. Even very fine stuff is too abrasive unless the chrome is pitted. A chrome polish is safer, but if your chrome is good, the Dunlop or Martin polish works there too. Just make sure to get it all off and buff.
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:48 am

Using Dunlop now on My Pearl Masters Studio which is Ocean Blue Sparkle. I just did the 8. HOLY HELL.. It’s crazy how good it looks.
D.

Return to “Drumming Chat”