Per Lindvall and Ola Brunkert

Rudy_Ment

Per Lindvall and Ola Brunkert

Postby Rudy_Ment » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:17 pm

I first learnt of PEr Lindvall's name on HOD many years ago. Clearly he's regarded as a great drummer with a superb pocket and I for one really like his playing.

I was always under the impression that he was mainly known for the drums on Waterloo, Dancing Queen and all the big Abba hits, and that he was revered on here mostly for his playing on those records. I don't know if the HOD members were also under the same impression?

It turns out he joined Abba later. But the drummer (now deceased) that played on Dancing Queen, Waterloo and pretty much all of the other big hits we think of was someone called Ola Brunkert, who was with Abba from the start in the 1970s up to his last recording with them in 1981. I'd never heard of him before today. Here's Ola Brunkert playing on the original drum track for Dancing Queen. One thing I noticed is that on the actual full song recording, there's an emphasised hi-hat slice throughout the song at various places, always on the and of 4. But that's not played on the isolated track. So maybe they overdubbed that? Actually, the more I listen to it, the more I'm not sure if it is the original drum track, some of the snare hits sound different.

No drums no life, know drums know life...
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Per Lindvall and Ola Brunkert

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:13 pm

Sweden's Porcaro, pretty much.

In Norway Per Hillestad would be the one.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:12 pm

His work with Michael Ruff is legendary. I could talk for hours about the guy. Speaking in melodies was recorded at sheffield lab. hit record and call it a day. natural sound and vibe. Dynamics galore!
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:37 pm

I remember when I learned that Lindvall was drumming on 'One Night In Bangkok', I was hooked on him. He played with a lot of Scandinavian acts, so he
was easy to "follow", in a time before www and social media. He's the guy, in Northern Europe. As Odd-Arne said, Per Hillestad is another great Scandi, as is my
fellow Dane, Jan Lysdahl. If you can look beyond our crazy language, dig this:

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:49 am

Big fan of Per I am !!!
I think I'm friend with him, his pocket is FEROCIOUS !!!
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
jem

Postby jem » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:46 pm

Rodge, I was just about to share the same video :-)
kaide

Postby kaide » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:24 pm

I'm not sure if Ola Brunkert played on Dancing Queen...here's my source which says that it was Roger Palm: https://abbasite.com/people/roger-palm/ . Per Lindvall played on Super Trouper and a couple of songs from the Visitors LP + live touring. https://abbasite.com/people/per-lindvall/
Per also played Chess The Musical soundtrack, which One Night In Bangkok is from. I'm currently playing Chess musical in Finland and copying Lindvall's great grooves. I had a great priviledge to meet Benny Andersson from Abba as he was rehearsing Chess musical with our band and got a photo with him after the premier night. That Michael Ruff stuff is legendary and some early Nils Landgren Funk Unit, Bronk & Lisa Nilsson cd's are great.
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:11 pm

Wow Rodge, you're not kidding, the drumming on that Michael Ruff song is just on another level, unbelievable groove!
Also Morgenthaler, that's a great drummer you posted, and super tight band. Enjoyed both of those performances.
kaide, thanks for the info about Roger Palm. That's awesome you met Benny. I believe Chess has some pretty difficult reading in it, on a par with West Side Story? I played some West Side Story years ago and it was quite a tricky read. And One Night in Bangkok, for some reason I always thought it was from Miss Saigon.
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:37 am

The whole show is a real bomb, Lars on bass and Per together, hell yeah !!!
Per is a real groove machine, but he has chops if needed. ;-)

I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”