Up tempo comping

chrishitsthings

Up tempo comping

Postby chrishitsthings » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:23 pm

Hey everyone! Thought I’d just ask if anyone knows any good books/ resources for uptempo comping stuff? I’ve been working on the uptempo ramping exercise from John Riley’s book and just working on the ride technique (up to around 300 so far) and I’ve got a transcription of the bit of uptempo stuff jojo does on his first DVD somewhere. Also should dig out the second groove essentials book in case there’s anything in there.
bensdrums

Re: Up tempo comping

Postby bensdrums » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:54 pm

John Riley’s bop books are probably the best if you’re looking for books, so you’re in the right place. His video The Master Drummer and its accompanied pdf material are very good too. This is all assuming a good teacher with a lot of bop experience isn’t available... that’s the most ideal IMO.

In my experience, bop and uptempo swing, more than any other “genre” (probably not the best word) requires a TON of purposeful listening to and going to see that music performed by the masters. If it’s feasible for you, IMO there is no substitute for NYC in this regard, and it’s worth the trip to go hit all the clubs and see it go down if you’re seriously pursuing this kind of playing. There’s a lot that is really difficult to put into words or books. It’s inherently expressive music and there are visual connections with the technique you make seeing it played up close and personal that are super important I believe. If not, get into everything you can find on dvd and the internet... I’m not saying checking out NYC is a must, of course there are other places and alternatives, but man, it certainly helped me a lot.

You can find a lot of technical pointers for playing fast on YouTube, and some do help, but it’s more important to understand conceptually what is happening at those tempos than it is to just be able to play them. Being able to “hear” at those tempos is crucial. It took me a long time to understand how to feel those tempos and stay inside the form without losing concentration and letting the music get away from me. Riley’s books lay that out pretty good. Erskine’s drumset essentials books also tap into it.

I’ll probably get lit up for some of what I’ve said here, but I’ve been on a similar journey as you and these are the things that helped me most. $0.02
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:59 pm

I´d make an Spotify playlist and listen to it over and over again. It´s all there. Books could be a starting point, but listening will answer all the questions imho. Enjoy the journey in any case!
GoAndPractice

Postby GoAndPractice » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:06 pm

I listen to a lot of music first, find what I like, then transcribe it.

Also I'd spend a ton of time practicing just my right hand at the ride cymbal only. Just sit with a cymbal on a stand, headphones and one drumstick. Nothing sounds worse than someone trying to fumble through all their cool licks while their right hand is hanging on for dear life (while the tempo and groove go out the window). If the ride hand's chops and groove are in shape, then the rest kind of falls into place.

In college I'd spend 30-60 minutes per day playing just the ride.
chrishitsthings

Postby chrishitsthings » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:18 am

Thanks for the replies! I had a feeling listening and transcribing might be the way forward. I spent ages with a teacher learning 50-250 so just carving out the tempos we never covered. I had a one off lesson with Mark Guiliana on the ride technique for up tempo (he studied with Riley) I may have to hit up someone over here in the UK who’s a bop guy that can steer me in the right direction. Actually that reminds me Mark saying you don’t want to sound bookish so once again thanks for the feedback all!!
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:03 pm

It's like any other style.

It's all about the groove, or swing, in this case, driving that quarter note.

Get the foundation down, listen to and understand the music and then just slowly add to it without moving on too much until you got something more or less down.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:48 pm

bensdrums wrote:
I’ll probably get lit up for some of what I’ve said here, but I’ve been on a similar journey as you and these are the things that helped me most. $0.02

I don't think so. I think you pretty much covered it perfectly. Everyone has made excellent points.

I remember reading or hearing Tony say something like "I practiced playing the ride until it wasn't a ride anymore..." Pretty deep.

I've also found certain little figures to be helpful to release the tension that inevitably builds up. You'll find your way the more you do it and the more music you absorb by just listening.

If you do ever go to New York, you could always snag a lesson with John Riley and/or Jochen Rueckert.

langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:30 am

This is pretty fast.

GoAndPractice

Postby GoAndPractice » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:14 pm

langmick wrote:This is pretty fast.

Get outta town!
langmick

Postby langmick » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:28 pm