Drum Head art

Tom Reschke

Drum Head art

Postby Tom Reschke » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:47 am

Weird question, but does anyone know of the best writing instrument or even paints to draw designs or pictures and whatnot on drumheads that will stand up to repeated beating from drumsticks? For instance, is the Remo or Evans logo on each head just standard ink or is it something a little more substantial? I've used sharpies in the past but they don't really hold up that great.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Drum Head art

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:02 am

If you use permanenet markers I think the coating of the head is more the issue than the ink.
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:23 pm

I had my favorite logos/images that I selected on line, took it to a professional sign shop and
had them make me stick on (almost permanent) decals for my 18" and 20" bass drums.
They made me 7 of them. Home made drawings just don't look pro.
GoAndPractice

Postby GoAndPractice » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:00 pm

You want to have art on the batter head? Like where you will strike? I dont think anything will stand up to that, even the Remo/Evans logos will scuff if you hit them right.

I'd vote a color pack of sharpies on a coated, etched, or fiberskyn head would be the best bet.

Somewhat related but I've always wondered about bass drum logos on coated heads, those don't work well with vinyl decals...
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:22 am

GoAndPractice wrote:You want to have art on the batter head? Like where you will strike? I dont think anything will stand up to that, even the Remo/Evans logos will scuff if you hit them right.

I'd vote a color pack of sharpies on a coated, etched, or fiberskyn head would be the best bet.

Somewhat related but I've always wondered about bass drum logos on coated heads, those don't work well with vinyl decals...

Yep, batter head. Just spyrograph kinda designs, something to up the visual aspect of the heads is all. I'm gonna go with sharpies, the kids have tons of those scattered throughout the house!
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
ctrl-z

Postby ctrl-z » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:02 pm

Draw on the underside of clear heads.
GoAndPractice

Postby GoAndPractice » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:10 pm

ctrl-z wrote:Draw on the underside of clear heads.

Now that's not a bad idea... perhaps black sharpie on an etched head might show through?

But yeah, sharpies on a coated head might be the easiest and best way to do it. I'd bet that's all meg white had for her peppermint and polka dot kits.

Return to “Drumming Chat”