I AM DRUMMER

thewikiman

Re: I AM DRUMMER

Postby thewikiman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:43 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:Cool, I'm curious to see what your results are with the EAD10. When you create your video, try using a few different presets on the EAD10.
I love mine, especially for practice, but I can't say I'm thrilled with how the bass drum trigger thing sounds. It doesn't quite pick up my last floor tom either.

I really like it for all the reasons you'd expect: it's got an amazingly good almost-close-mic'd sound and it can be easily taken anywhere, and set up in 3 minutes. Compared to what I was doing before - a couple of mics, recording unit, plus video, then mixing it all together - I have a lot more time for actually drumming. So it's worth it. As much as the various presets are fun I've only really recorded with a little compression and a small amount of reverb, rather than 'calftone' or any of the other settings. The gated reverb thing is very fun for playing along to Genesis though...

But I totally agree about the kick. I have this great sounding Maple Custom kick from the 90s and I want to hear that, not a trigger... In the context of playing along to music it's not too noticable, but when you hear just the drums it does bug me. I never really record myself soloing so it's not too much of an issue for me.

I've actually just last week tracked down the 16" MC floor-tom I've wanted for ages so this will be the first time I've tried recording two floors with the EAD, will see how it goes...
____
Ned
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:44 pm

Richie - I like how your passion for drums is obvious in your vids. Nice job man!
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:11 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:Richie - I like how your passion for drums is obvious in your vids. Nice job man!

Steve to me those are big and kind words as I have been a fan of your work for a long time especially your lessons, very inspirational.

thewikiman wrote:
Paul Marangoni wrote:I'm not really one to be interested in video reviews of most music instruments; not beyond the manufacturer's own videos anyway. I think there is just way too much emphasis on equipment instead of actual music performances. And by music, I mean actual live music, with other musicians, as opposed to people soloing or playing along to backing tracks. Although both are useful for individual practice and improvement, it really should be a personal journey and not really worthy of sharing with the world. I've been guilty of that in the past too, and I found that I had to analyze my motives when doing so. Was I simply hoping to get my ego stroked? Searching for validation? I'm not sure.

I hear you but for me, putting videos out there is just about having an end-product to work towards, because I'm NOT out there gigging all the time, and never will be. So posting a vid of playing along to song to Instagram is at least an output of my playing, and it's completing the loop of performance-meets-audience (albeit in an artificial way) because there's no audience in the practice room.

So I'm renting a room for 4 hours later in the month, with the aim to setting up the kit, and using the EAD10 to record some videos. Not becasue I think I'll get my ego stroked (that would be lovely - I love drums and drumming, so to have your playing validated feels good - but my playing isn't really of a high enough standard for that) but just because it's something to work towards, something to aim at, a nice reason to use all the gear that I love, etc. I can''t wait, I've been thinking about it loads.

If you had to ask 'is it worthy of sharing with the world' then if I'm being brutal with myself, probably not - but I'll still share it, because it's all part of helping me develop.

I really enjoy your channel Richie EXCEPT that my friend has a Yamaha Vinnie sig that he never uses anymore thanks to your expose on the lug problem!! Now he's too scared to tune it up and hit it :)

Right now I am working on my playing a lot before I think about offering lessons on the channel etc, being honest there are so many takes on so many rudiments I have to really think what I can bring to a massive table....that isn't already on it.

I am SO sorry that your friend isn't playing the drum but yes that lug is an issue but I am working on something that might bring the lug back in to production for all of use out there with this issue. Lug bereaves sort of up sh*t creek.
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:23 pm

So I do review gear but every so often I put up a flash back video....

SO many great players on here to critique it but....meh here is another clip.

Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:18 pm

After finding one and sitting down with the Carbon Custom I finally reviewed it....opinions are for me a little mixed.

Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:43 pm

Bit of a blast from the past, sort of.

Love the Sucherman rides, they are pretty special and yes I need to work on my jokes a little.

Return to “Drumming Chat”