The value of groove drummers

Andrew<3'sVinnie

The value of groove drummers

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:54 am

Definitely when I was young, I discounted groove players, not having the maturity to recognize they bring something to the table that many drummers with more facility don't (and vice versa). Granted this is not the fairest comparison, but check Antonio Sanchez the other day, undoubtedly a modern drum god whom I love, vs Carlos Vega (YT didn't have a high quality recording unfortunately). So, not an entirely fair comparison, as Vega's band had been playing together a lot longer, so had more opportunity to get tighter, this is might be the best take out of another 100 live recordings, and could be audio engineered. It may also be that the Late Show stage may be tough to play (also, the horn intonation and tone, yikes).

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: The value of groove drummers

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:50 am

With James there are big shoes to fill anyway.

Jimmy and Steve vs. Will and Antonio?

No bass player will touch Jimmy for me ever, because he has a tone and feel I love and know so well. He's also been the leader of that band forever.

What would be cool would be to hear both Gary and Vince with the old band as they're both quite used to playing with Jimmy.

Does Antonio even have a history of listening to this stuff?

Obviously, not fair at all. He approaches the time in totally different way. Anyone who's grown up listening to James and his live shows would feel the difference. He's also READING.

Doesn't get more seasoned than his usual lineup. It's not bad. It's just not super fantastic and a little stale and disjointed.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:52 pm

Not digging Antonio's performance. Zero feel. Playing the notes with nothing behind it. You get the feeling it's just a gig. Punch in and call it a day. Will is always lights out great.
langmick

Postby langmick » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:08 pm

Cool topic.

I don't think Antonio has much concrete in his hands.

On the other hand. You would expect this dude to get it. The bass drum needs to be in the precise spot for the groove to work, and the snare needs to sit a bit. Damn.

Didn't think about this until I read this comment: "He was a last minute replacement for Carlos Vega, who had killed himself weeks prior."

Russ Kunkel. The precision of his groove. I think there is something about dead drums that makes these old songs move. They don't get in the way of the vocal and melody. They also allow the drummer to play a bit more, with the caveat that all the notes are more audible.

Kunkel again.

Tempo is too slow. Apparently this is Rick Schlosser, a studio guy that has played on quite a few hits.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/432745-Rick-Shlosser

Here's Carlos. He has it where it needs to be.

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:21 am

My favorite take is played by Steve Jordan on live at Beacon Theater, live he's my favorite JT's drummer !!! :o

It's not the same song here, but come on, even JT has to give a smile to SJ so his groove/feel is gold. :-)

I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:45 am

Two bars of Steve Jordan is gold. He lays it there for the vocal.
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:23 pm

I'm interested to know if Antonio got fired from JT's gig because Chad Wackerman is doing the gig now. The performance from Antonia is gross misconduct!
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:53 pm

Antonio was booked for a tv show only, Chad has always subbed for Steve Gadd with JT, Chad is friend with Jimmy who's JT's MD, there you go.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
bigbone

Postby bigbone » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:18 pm

The reason Antonio was doing the gig is that a few days ago the did a special benefit
concert to raise money for the cancer in honor of Michael Brecker in NYC.Antonio
was the drummer for the gig and Will Lee the MD. James Taylor was one of the
artist in that gig,so they use that benefit band gig with Taylor to do
the Colbert gig.
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:29 am

Yeesh. That was a rough one. Fortunately, there's hours upon hours of footage of Antonio being a bad motherfucker. Could be a lot of shit going on here that we aren't privy to as well.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.

Return to “Drumming Chat”