Gary Novak

Dave Goodman

Re: Gary Novak

Postby Dave Goodman » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:12 pm

robertopeland wrote:Hi guys...
Gary always told me that he played Gretsch drums on those sessions, as you can see on YT on the studio video sessions.

The big solo starts at 8:55
You can see the Yamaha logo on the bass drum front head, and the legs and other details let me think that that is a Yamaha bass drum... In this video toms are obviously Gretsch with Rims, snare is a Yamaha Brass 14"x6.5"...
When I saw him live on that tour, drums were all Yamaha Maple Custom, BD 18", TT 10"/12"/14", Yamaha Brass Snare 14"x6.5"
By the way, Gary also told me that they made the recordings for all the tracks in one day... Killer record, one of my all time favorite...
They have every single show recorded from that tour, but they never released them... TOO BAD because they were absolutely insane...
Hope this helps

Have a nice day everyone

BOB

percusski wrote:That's great info thanks, still no clearer though, would be nice to know exactly what drums were used, sizes, heads, tuning etc etc, this record has one of the best snare recorded sounds ever

Hey Nick,

Gary answered someone’s question about this on Instagram in this thread: https://www.instagram.com/p/BsmdAQdgcHn/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1xs4kk63vw21c

I also remember reading a bunch of interviews in which he talked about this ‘big ass Gretsch kit’ he bought just before Gretsch got hit by the EPA about the way they finished their shells. There were specs in a studio inventory list he used to keep about his studio that I remember listing 10 x 10, 12 x 10, 13 x 11, 14 x 12, 15 x 13 and 22 x 18. I guess that’s why he had the Yamaha 18” BD, and, presumably by looking, the 10 x 10, 12 x 10, and 14 x 12. I reckon he tuned his toms to G, D, G on Time Warp, and theyvsound beautifully distinctive and barking. The suspended floor Tim mat have dropped to an F throughout the date.

Speaking of Time Warp, did anyone here hear Sisc 5 of the box set that Chick released in the late 90s? Holy smokes! It’s this quartet from the Time Warp session recording standards. Amazing playing! ‘That Old Feeling’ and ‘Straight No Chaser’ are burning. There’s also an original at the end called ‘Story’ that I guess was some kind of reference to Chick’s ‘Time Warp’ Story. Maybe it was even intended to be part of Time Warp but didn’t make it. I LOVE it!!!
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:29 am

Crazy Novak...those fingers just riding the stick like a runner up stairs...
This is three people who made massive impact that night

Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:05 pm

NAMM 2019

Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:24 am

I did not know Gary did/does so much sessions, good for him.

He says some great things here, all those drummers featured on drum fest, yet you just CAN'T listen them on any records, so true, way too many drummers out there playing alone with, computer... :roll:

I like old school guys anyway, and Gary is a hell of a musician, not even mentioning his awesome drumming. ;)

Julián Fernández wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpDKhgU0HPI
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
percusski

Postby percusski » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:21 pm

Dave Goodman wrote:
robertopeland wrote:Hi guys...
Gary always told me that he played Gretsch drums on those sessions, as you can see on YT on the studio video sessions.

The big solo starts at 8:55
You can see the Yamaha logo on the bass drum front head, and the legs and other details let me think that that is a Yamaha bass drum... In this video toms are obviously Gretsch with Rims, snare is a Yamaha Brass 14"x6.5"...
When I saw him live on that tour, drums were all Yamaha Maple Custom, BD 18", TT 10"/12"/14", Yamaha Brass Snare 14"x6.5"
By the way, Gary also told me that they made the recordings for all the tracks in one day... Killer record, one of my all time favorite...
They have every single show recorded from that tour, but they never released them... TOO BAD because they were absolutely insane...
Hope this helps

Have a nice day everyone

BOB

percusski wrote:That's great info thanks, still no clearer though, would be nice to know exactly what drums were used, sizes, heads, tuning etc etc, this record has one of the best snare recorded sounds ever

Hey Nick,

Gary answered someone’s question about this on Instagram in this thread: https://www.instagram.com/p/BsmdAQdgcHn/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1xs4kk63vw21c

I also remember reading a bunch of interviews in which he talked about this ‘big ass Gretsch kit’ he bought just before Gretsch got hit by the EPA about the way they finished their shells. There were specs in a studio inventory list he used to keep about his studio that I remember listing 10 x 10, 12 x 10, 13 x 11, 14 x 12, 15 x 13 and 22 x 18. I guess that’s why he had the Yamaha 18” BD, and, presumably by looking, the 10 x 10, 12 x 10, and 14 x 12. I reckon he tuned his toms to G, D, G on Time Warp, and theyvsound beautifully distinctive and barking. The suspended floor Tim mat have dropped to an F throughout the date.

Speaking of Time Warp, did anyone here hear Sisc 5 of the box set that Chick released in the late 90s? Holy smokes! It’s this quartet from the Time Warp session recording standards. Amazing playing! ‘That Old Feeling’ and ‘Straight No Chaser’ are burning. There’s also an original at the end called ‘Story’ that I guess was some kind of reference to Chick’s ‘Time Warp’ Story. Maybe it was even intended to be part of Time Warp but didn’t make it. I LOVE it!!!

Thanks Dave!
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:44 pm

Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sat May 25, 2019 6:02 pm

OMG

chrishitsthings

Postby chrishitsthings » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:50 pm

Does anyone still have the audio from the Guitar Center clinic Gary did that was doing the rounds here years ago? Can't for the life of me find it
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:23 pm

1991 grooving with solid cats.
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:44 am

Was checking out new Jackson Brown. Some good shit / slide guitar quite appealing. Saw the 2 female players...got poking around...down the rabbit hole...ended up seeing Gary in this one.

When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member

Return to “Drumming Chat”