Instagram Drummers

Tom Reschke

Instagram Drummers

Postby Tom Reschke » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:36 pm

Just wanted to know what you all thought about the current state of drumming and how YouTube drummers have kind of moved laterally to Instagram. I follow A LOT of drummers, and my feed is just rife with person after person playing some good and some bad stuff. It seems to me as an old guy, that this is kind of the way to go for a lot of young bucks who want to get noticed and get the all important sweet endorsement deal. You know, Provided that you're savvy with mics and recording and video and all the other stuff that goes with it. Some people I follow are AMAZING drummers, but have no albums or actual musical credits (I think Gary Novak touched on this on a podcast). But, eventually, they do land that endorsement and then just become salesmen for whatever endorsements they have. I'm not begrudging anyone trying to make a nickel in this fucked up music business, but it always seems a little disingenuous when their videos turn into just basically product demos. I don't know, again, I'm old and confused.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Paul Marangoni

Re: Instagram Drummers

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:43 pm

Tom Reschke wrote:Just wanted to know what you all thought about the current state of drumming and how YouTube drummers have kind of moved laterally to Instagram.

It's pretty sad and pathetic. That's what I think. None of this nonsense is good for anyone, and I don't see the state of music getting any better. Also, everyone needs to wake up and get the hell off of Facebook and Instagram (which is a Facebook property).

Interesting how they took down the video of T Bone Burnett's speech from SXSW...
https://www.sxsw.com/music/2019/keynote ... e-burnett/

https://www.fastcompany.com/90320480/fu ... sw-keynote

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertai ... story.html
willyz

Postby willyz » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:33 am

Like anything else on the internet- both vastly overwhelming and extremely underwhelming.

Just a bunch of guys, showing off chops, playing to a track if you're lucky. Rare that they're actually throwing up stuff of them playing with other musicians.

Everyone, for better or worse, has a platform now. Same shit, different day.

Personally, I'm using my Instagram as a way of tracking my progress... not trying to shine or be a star, just trying to have the stones to throw something up in contrast to the chops guys.
Got Blushda?
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:31 pm

Nothing wrong with throwing it out there. If ya dig...ya dig. you can always pick up something to incorporate into you vocab.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:58 pm

Tim Pierce and another studio player had a good rap on this subject...
the consensus: a lot of really great players all playing by themselves in their rooms...
where are the bands? My thought: as more knowledge and ease of access increases the
greater the loss of wisdom...as in, "Wow...music needs a band of other players over
learning every Eddie lick note for note!" "Hey...I got 500 FB friends, but not one person
knows my birthday and I spend most of real time alone...and when I am with friends,
they are preoccupied on their devices 70% of the time we are together."
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Not sure if this cat is on Instagram, but he has some good stuff...
and the drum sound he gets with all his techno gear is incredible

Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:19 pm

SM is here to stay. How we use it is largely up to us.

I'm more or less off. It's just on lazy Sundays like today I enjoy catching up on youtube with things that interest me.

If I move outside of mainly teaching again I'll probably clean my IG up and just put a bit of playing up there. I'm not too sure about the value it has. I think it depends. It's less annoying than FB, where everyone is very different from how I know them in real life. In any case, it's where the kids are.
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:07 am

I think my main gripe was how much product placement there is in Instagram posts. Like, everyone tags whatever gear is in the pic even if you're not on their artist roster. I guess this is an attempt to get whatever company eyeballs on your posts to try to get the all important endorsement. But, really, now that I've thought about it for a little bit, why do I care? I never had these thoughts about Modern Drummer when I read it for all those years. I mean, every thing about that magazine is designed to sell you shit, cover to cover. Musicians as a whole are OBSESSED with gear. And I suppose it's rightly so. So, I suppose I can't really get mad at an online platform that I willingly participate in for free to inundate me with advertising, in whatever form that may be. I can always delete the shit, and move on with my life.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:58 am

Tom Reschke wrote: I can always delete the shit, and move on with my life.

Words of wisdom.

Return to “Drumming Chat”