Can we just talk Gretsch drums a bit.

Paul Marangoni

Re: Can we just talk Gretsch drums a bit.

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:15 pm

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:a wrap is more durable.

One thing that really sets Gretsch apart from other manufacturers is their finishes. You should reconsider your decision to get a wrap. The Antique Pearl is probably thin enough that it won't affect the tone, but wraps in general do stifle the sound a bit (the big flake sparkles have the biggest effect).
The other reason to get a wood grain finish is that Gretsch can always make you another drum and match the finish exactly (I've done it many times). Lastly, if you opt for a satin finish, it may even be cheaper than the wrap.

If durability and resistance to scratches, bumps, etc. is really an issue, you should probably get a fiberglass set.

I made the mistake of getting a wrapped Gretsch set years ago, for the same reason as you. I was gigging six nights a week back then, and my drums were getting set up and torn down every few days, and then thrown into a truck. Guess what happened though? Stage lights a little too close ended up charring the wrap so that one drum had one side that wasn't "shiny" anymore. So you see, in the end, wraps get damaged too.

Drums can always be fixed, repaired, or replaced. If you have insurance, it won't be an issue, and if you have a nice Gretsch finish, they can always match it perfectly.
langmick

Postby langmick » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:42 am

I tend to agree about wraps. I've got some silver sparkle that now kinda looks like yellow silver sparkle. When they age they can turn. IMO.
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:37 am

I've also learned that if a shell is wrapped to standard industry code,
as they have been for many decades, there is NO loss of sustained
resonance.
The wrapped material becomes part of the shell. If you do an A/B side
by side test before and after with same shell (un-wrapped vs wrapped)
your meter will show no loss of sound.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:37 am

jean krupa wrote:I've also learned that if a shell is wrapped to standard industry code,
as they have been for many decades, there is NO loss of sustained
resonance.
The wrapped material becomes part of the shell. If you do an A/B side
by side test before and after with same shell (un-wrapped vs wrapped)
your meter will show no loss of sound.

In some cases, that may be true. But I spoke with someone at Gretsch specifically about this. He said that the thicker wraps (with the large flake sparkle) DO have an effect on the drum's sound. In some cases, you may prefer a muted thunk, but the safest best is a natural finish.
Wraps can also cause problems with heads fitting onto the drum. Gretsch in particular can tend to apply the wrap so that a half inch of the bare shell is exposed near the edges to facilitate this problem.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:58 am

On a Broadkaster I might like a little bit of muted thunk. :lol: I have a purpose in mind.

No so much on USAs, though. I'm sort of leaning towards suspension on those. A solid color could be laquer as well as wrap, so that shouldn't be an issue. Was always going to get the old Vinnie sigs. Tony yelow is cool, but maybe a bit too Bruce Lee sweatpant loud. The blue on my latest snares have grown on me, not quite as hateful towards those, but not sure if they offer that. White is still a bit more universal, though. A bit more "jazz" friendly.

Rosewood gloss is nice, but not really me. I really can't stand bursts or anything I'd might find on a "pretty" bass guitar. Anything red is out. Seafoam greean and all it's retro cousins I don't want on anything. I'll let the retro Cadillac and greasy hair people keep those. :lol:

For the Broadkasters the Antique Pearl just seems like somthing that fits everything. Sort of retro, sort of modern.
Last edited by Odd-Arne Oseberg on Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:47 am

I think the best protection against a wrap coming into contact with the rim,
is to always undercut the shell width, like Sonor does with their lites and other models.
I custom ordered 2 USA Gretsch 5 piece kits in MARDI GRAS FINISH ( 1) 10,12, 14x14, 6.14 14x20
2) 10, 12, 14x14, 5x14, and 15x18 ) They have a full sustain. Then I ordered a 6 pc BroadKaster kit
10,12,14,5.5x14, 15x18, 14x20 and the two mounted toms do not sing as the USA customs do. I understand
that all Gretsch shells are cut to 30 degree edges. Maybe I should have them recut to double 45's.
Brett Borba

Postby Brett Borba » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:36 pm

Hey, all. I don't post often but wanted to share my experience w Gretsch.

After a year of searching I finally pulled the trigger on a USA Custom kit, which I bought used on Ebay - 22x16, 12x8, 14x14, 16x16 and 14x7 - 125th Anniversary Rock Legend - Millenium Maple Stain with Nitrocellulose Gloss. Jasper shells. Added a 10x7 tom and a 18x12 virgin kick from Gretsch (not jasper) and a VC sig popcorn snare - I tried to get the maple stain with the Vinnie badge but Gretsch nixed the request - they agreed to the color and round badge. Color match was spot on and the entire kit sounds great.

That said, the lug spacers on the 2008 kit look like they were cut out by a 5 year old, jagged and mismatched – cheap black plastic that sticks out beyond the lug so it’s highly visible. Thankfully, the spacers that came with the new drums are much improved - still not perfect but smoother and less visible.

Also, the lugs and/or tuning rods were of shockingly poor quality. The tuning rods (long T-rods) were so sticky on the 18" kick, I honestly thought the factory had cross-threaded them. Applied candle wax to the threads and that did help somewhat. Definitely not Yamaha grade.

So yea ... that great Gretsch sound STILL may come w some of those great Gretsch "quirks". But relatively minor issues in the larger scheme. Cheers!

Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:17 pm

DeeP_FRieD wrote:
Julián Fernández wrote:Rosewood gloss (is that what is called?) is my all time Gretsch fav finish...

Couldn't agree more.

Gorgeous kit, man. Congrats! :mrgreen:
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:21 am

Norwegian retailer didn't answer and yesterday I found out why. They're filing for bankruptcy.

Don't know what that means yet, but it's more than likely that whoever I was talking to was a musician working part time in the drum department and is gone.

It's a shame really as the 4Sound chain of stores made it possible to have sizeable stores with decent selection, at least in the cities, in these times. They were the ones who arranged the Weckl clinic and intensive I went to a few years back. Drum department in Oslo was run by Per Hillestad from e.g. Lava, one of our most recorded session drummers. Not too long since his house burned to the ground, so happy times, I guess.

We'll see. They may be able to make it work. I just got the news yesterday. Hope they can find a way. It's rehearsal spaces and all sorts of stuff in walking distance from most concert venues etc...

This means probably Broadkaster first and if no other way I'll probably get it from Thomann.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:57 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY8yTjlW-es

Interesting concept from the same company:

Return to “Drumming Chat”