Manu Katché

Paul Marangoni

Re: Manu Katché

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:18 pm

Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:08 am

I love the sound he gets from his snare drum. Check out how low it is, and where he strikes it. Butt end no less.

nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:37 pm

Yeah Paul he sounds great in that context. I don't like many of the ECM records he has been involved in, but the live Jan Garbarek cd called "Dresden" is really good, and more non-ecm-ish, if you get what I mean.

His first solo record "it's About Time" is a really good pop record that he sings on, and wrote some really nice pop music. It reminds me a little of this stuff you posted.

That snare sound, (in my opinion) comes from where he's playing the drum. He never seems to play dead center. I've noticed this with many guys who get great snare sounds, we never really look at where they are playing the drum (we get way to hung up on the what drum is he playing instead of where and how is he playing the drum.) He also doesn't seem to be playing that hard (lack of velocity,) and is therefore not choking the drum, and just "letting" it speak, naturally.

Anyway...
MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:31 pm

nomsgmusic wrote:
That snare sound, (in my opinion) comes from where he's playing the drum. He never seems to play dead center. He also doesn't seem to be playing that hard (lack of velocity,) and is therefore not choking the drum, and just "letting" it speak, naturally.

Anyway...
MSG

So true. A drummer's touch is everything. For that matter, every musician, no matter the instrument, is nothing without a good touch. Bill Evans, Allan Holdsworth, Tony Williams, Jaco Pastorius, Pat Metheny, Eddie Van Halen, Buddy Rich... All those guys would sound incredible on any instrument, just due to their touch.
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:44 pm

Hope everyone's safe and healthy... Crazy times we live in for sure.

Recently got Gabriel's "Back to Front" DVD and Manu's snare
sounds incredible. Really nice show.

Today, just received Manu's autobiography "Road Book"...
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:37 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:
nomsgmusic wrote:
That snare sound, (in my opinion) comes from where he's playing the drum. He never seems to play dead center. He also doesn't seem to be playing that hard (lack of velocity,) and is therefore not choking the drum, and just "letting" it speak, naturally.

Anyway...
MSG

So true. A drummer's touch is everything. For that matter, every musician, no matter the instrument, is nothing without a good touch. Bill Evans, Allan Holdsworth, Tony Williams, Jaco Pastorius, Pat Metheny, Eddie Van Halen, Buddy Rich... All those guys would sound incredible on any instrument, just due to their touch.

I agree 100% But let me ask you a question. You're a smart guy (and I'm NOT being argumentative or snarky here!) How do you "define" touch? Seriously. We all use that term a lot, it's a sort of buzz word. The same with "phrasing." (I was talking to a young musician recently, and he threw the word "phrasing" in about 25 times. I then asked him what that word meant to him, he couldn't tell me, but man did he love to use the word, but I digress.)

I wonder how others define, and what constitutes (to them,) the term "touch." I've thought about it A LOT in my own process of improving mine (you an't improve something if you really don't know what it is, right?) And I have come up with my own "working definition." But I am interested how you (and any others, Steve?) define and use that term.

Hope all remains well with everyone!
MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:14 am

"I agree 100% But let me ask you a question. You're a smart guy (and I'm NOT being argumentative or snarky here!) How do you "define" touch? Seriously. We all use that term a lot, it's a sort of buzz word. The same with "phrasing." (I was talking to a young musician recently, and he threw the word "phrasing" in about 25 times. I then asked him what that word meant to him, he couldn't tell me, but man did he love to use the word, but I digress.) "

Paul: __________________________________________________

Didn't want to lose that flow created in this thread.

If you haven't caught the AXIS TV profile on Genesis, watch it. The boys AND Peter Gabriel
sit in one room together after all these years...Banks and Peter almost get into it...funny...
Tony comes off a bit "snarky"...well, when Peter needed a drummer phil was going through his
divorce, drinking in the pubs nightly and called Gabriel..."I'm available to play on your record!"
So I assume it is Phil on that record, but they show PG w/a young Manu playing some very
tasty grooves on the tour. His playing on SO...is the definition of touch and taste...if I could
not describe it, I would say touch is...and put on the song "In Your Eyes"
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:28 am

I would say touch is defined as control of all dynamics, ppp to fff, without any hint of tension or uncertainty. Painting a painting with a fine detail brush vs painting with a roller. The refinement of the lower dynamics.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:25 am

nomsgmusic wrote: How do you "define" touch? Seriously.

Touch has everything to do with the interface between musician and instrument. In our case, it's usually mediated by a stick. The angle your stick touches the head, the shape of the tip, the pressure you apply, how long the stick stays on the head, and quickly it is removed, whether it shifts/slides a fraction of a millimeter,.... All those things (in addition to their placement of the notes in the flow of time) will define someone's touch, and that "touch" will result in someone's "sound" (once you combine enough groups of notes such that they from some sort of rhythm). For guitarists it would be their picking hand as well as how the fret the strings, how they bend the note, they're speed and depth of tremolo, on and on....
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:29 am

Pocketplayer wrote:
Paul: __________________________________________________

Didn't want to lose that flow created in this thread.

If you haven't caught the AXIS TV profile on Genesis, watch it.

I have seen it, but I'm such a Genesis freak that I didn't learn anything new. Nice to see them all hanging out though.

Phil played on Peter's third self titled solo record in 1980. Back then, film and video cameras weren't as ubiquitous as they eventually became.
https://petergabriel.com/release/peter-gabriel-3/

Return to “Drumming Chat”