Assorted videos / YouTube thread

GoAndPractice

Re: Assorted videos / YouTube thread

Postby GoAndPractice » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:43 pm

Creating some Gadd-ish Terri Lyne-ish type fills
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:14 am

A really funny and well-executed series called time-consuming breaks down different drum parts.

GoAndPractice

Postby GoAndPractice » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:20 pm

I love how much Travis loves the drums. Even with all he's been through and how much he's achieved, he still improves and evolves. Give it a watch if you have the time. He has some great tips and obviously displays of incredible chops. it's also cool to just see raw video like this with all the rough edges. He seems uncomfortable at the beginning but once he gets going it's great.

I never really understood controversy around his playing, probably because I've been a big fan of his for 20 years now. He's just a quiet dude who is a total animal behind the kit with an absurd amount of ability.
bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:07 am

GoAndPractice

Postby GoAndPractice » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:20 pm

GoAndPractice

Postby GoAndPractice » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:00 pm

Holy cow:

This is truly some "next level" stuff. Really cool to see someone push the boundaries like this.
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:04 am

GoAndPractice wrote:https://youtu.be/QmsyMmtKHys?t=269
I love how much Travis loves the drums. Even with all he's been through and how much he's achieved, he still improves and evolves. Give it a watch if you have the time. He has some great tips and obviously displays of incredible chops. it's also cool to just see raw video like this with all the rough edges. He seems uncomfortable at the beginning but once he gets going it's great.

I never really understood controversy around his playing, probably because I've been a big fan of his for 20 years now. He's just a quiet dude who is a total animal behind the kit with an absurd amount of ability.

When I was teaching lessons, Travis Barker was every teenage student of mine's hero. They thought he was THE BEST DRUMMER EVER IN EXISTENCE!!! And of course as youtube got popular any video of Travis had tons of comments from his fans about how he was easily the best drummer in the world. Then of course the haters (probably older men who should know better) would chime in and talk about Buddy Rich or really anyone that was THEIR childhood hero was the best and Travis couldn't even compare to them at all and much harsher shit than that. I'm sure my drum teacher in high school was sick of me saying how great Neil Peart was while he was trying to get me to listen to Max Roach or anyone else. Let kids like who they like. There's nothing wrong with letting them know what else is out there, drumming and music-wise, but I never understood why an adult would berate a child about who their idol is. If anything, like Gene Krupa, or Ringo, or any other influential drummer, Travis Barker got a lot of kids into drumming. And speaking as someone who would have to teach kids how to play some Blink 182 songs, he's pretty damn good at what he does.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
AllenS

Postby AllenS » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:00 am

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:31 pm

AllenS wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knxr6s_ExBQ

Not a fan of Pictures at Eleven. I really want to like it. The playing is great. The tunes not so much. I have all of his records and collaborations. His solo stuff is just as fun as Led Z. Fate of Nations is the fav. mighty rearranger. Principle. Raising Sand is good. Don't listen to earthy folk stuff. It's well crafted.
langmick

Postby langmick » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:09 pm

Those 80s Plant albums gave me lots of stuff to work on, some great drumming from Phil, Cozy and Richie, songwriting was interesting.

I thought Richie was an alien, had no idea that he was in Little Feat and had so many years of playing that music plus funk and disco. That record opened up a lot for me.

Michael Lee (RIP) was a monster hitter, but he had some of that Bonzo in him imo.

This setup was the first time I saw someone play like this on a big stage, and that rack was pretty crazy. A drummer who moved into our area played open handed by left like this, he was a very creative guy, could have been all the mescaline. He too was a different guy, didn't care about pop music, just playing his stuff, he was free to not give a shit about Neil. First guy I met who was really a free player.

Return to “Drumming Chat”