VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Rodge

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby Rodge » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:23 pm

Yeah I have it on DVD, I know that here at HoD everybody know what's a DVD, or a VHS... :-)
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:36 am

Steve Holmes wrote:Julian - really? It's been around a loooooong time.
It's pretty amazing.

I've never seen it before. You could swear that he was recording one of those great GRP records, its exactly the same sound.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:36 pm

Drum solo stuff near the end.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:10 pm

Well, that was amazing.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:10 pm

I have this music since ages, another song named "Zero Gravity", and I'm sure I know this music from here at HoD. :)
GREAT stuff !!! :o
PS : Vince with JJ on bass, alway ACE !!!
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:01 pm

No drums no life, know drums know life...
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:14 pm

@6:30 on Vinnie is soloing over Holdsworth's solo...isn't that anathema?
The Vinnie "just pass Go" card? I liked it, but just askin'...what other
drummer could get away with this?
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:09 am

I'm hearing two geniuses having a conversation, specially that JJ and Steve Hunt stopped playing.
It was beautiful.

Allan was this kind of artist who loved musicians who can "talk" a lot, see his drummers, Husband, Wackerman, Novak, Bruner...
Corea loves it too, McLaughlin too.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:57 am

Pocket,

They are playing a duet. When a soloist and a drummer are really "hooked up" or "in sync" (whatever you want to call it, the soloist can signal to the piano and bass to lay out (or if they are REALLY listening they can just hear that it's time to lay out for a chorus or so.) This will allow ht e soloist and the drummer to really speak and interact, unencumbered by keeping strict time or playing the changes. It's a conversation (like Rodge said.)

Allan liked to play duets with drummers, Gary and Chad both told me that this was something that Allan really liked to do. I think on Gary's old instructional tape he and Allan played a duet. And I have seen him do it live with Gary, Chad, and (I think) Novak and even John Marshall as well. Musically it can be very freeing, there is a long history of it in the jazz idiom.

Who else could get away with this? Off the top of my head. Jack DeJohnette and Mike Brecker, Elvin and Coltrane, Roy Haynes and Coltrane, Rashied Ali and Coltrane, Max Roach and Cecil Taylor (or Anthony Braxton,) Tony Williams and Cecil Taylor, Bill Stewart and Joe Lovano, Bill Stewart and John Scofield, Weckl and Oz (I think,) Jeff Watts and Branford, Steve McCall and Fred Anderson, Steve Smith and Mike Stern, Omar and Branford (with Sting, I think?) Peter Erskine and Wayne Shorter, Eric Gravatt and Wayne Shorter, Eric Gravatt and McCoy Tyner... I could go on for days. The first jazz duets that I ever heard were a 1947 recording of drummer Alvin Stoller and trumpeter Roy Eldridge.

It's high level improvisation!!! Think of it this way. Two people are having a conversation while speaking simultaneously. Both people are listening, talking, leaving space, and reacting to what the other person is saying ALL at the SAME time, SIMULTANEOUSLY! This is actually an old acting-improvisation excersise.

It's really cool to hear to actors do it well. And even cooler to hear two GREAT musical improvisers do it with their instruments inside of a musical context. It's very difficult to do, and requires BIG ears and a lot of trust between the two musicians. But it can be wonderful for really freeing you up, both in practice and in performance. And... IT'S FUN !!!!!!!!

Rodge, How many tracks is Vinnie on, on that Rich Ruttenberg record, who else is on it?

Hope all are staying heathy and safe during these VERY strange times!
Mark
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:59 am

My favourite of playing, but it'a rare I meet people who like to and are able to do it.

It's either a much simpler approach or just loud drunk shouting at eachother. :lol:

Return to “Drumming Chat”