Re: Quarantine Chatty!

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:07 am

Anyone watching this?

https://live.champion.biz/
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:32 am

willyz wrote:re: mental heath

I started therapy back in May. It was a long time coming over the years as depression and anxiety built up. I think the covid situation was the major catalyst that drove me to the point of realizing that I needed some help. Our move to NJ has been pretty rough on my wife and I both emotionally and financially as we got a bit in over our heads (fuck the taxes here!). Then at the start of this year my teaching practice and gigs were really starting to pick up and make a major difference for us financially and then with the snap of Thanos' finger covid hit. It was all gone. I lost complete confidence in myself, even though this catalyst was completely not my fault and out of my control. It was taking its toll on every aspect of my life.

I just wanted to share this because of some of the comments here and I really think it's commendable and important (especially for us dudes, assuming that this is a mostly male audience) of you guys to be sharing some of your struggles through this batshit crazy time.

Nobody is alone, and we can all get through this with a little help from our friends (and sometimes some licensed professionals!

Stay safe, stay well!

Cheers.

I have just finished my second course of therapy. It all revolved around a similar issue - confidence and self-worth. It's funny how you can listen to people's advice for years literally but you just have to hear the right thing, worded in the right way, at the right time, and your life takes a dramatic turn for the better. What also helped me straighten my mind was the stoic philosophy, getting into which I recommend to anybody. When you stop worrying about stuff beyond your control at some point you realise that pretty much the only thing you can do anything and everything about is yourself. And that's where your energy should be focused. It might seem egotistical at first glance but considering how short life is and on top of that seeing all those silly people quabble about politics, the best and most productive thing you can do is look after your own "house". Sorry, I'm deterministic about the world - whatever will be will be and we are too small to have a say on anything...

When it comes to confidence and the perception of my own capabilities, as far as I remember it was actually langmick here who once posted words that set me straight everytime shitty thoughts creep into my head:

You can't be mad at yourself for the lack of results from work you haven't done.

All the best!
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:44 am

In abuse situations it sort of gets flipped around.

A narcissist is really nothing but an insecure child. They don't know how to grow, think independantly and improve themselves, so they choose to abuse, destroy and spread lies. The victim generally understands what's happening and could handle it if not for the wast number of flying monkeys that support and defend the constant assaults.

An A-type personality like me with true confidence and humility is what narcissists hate most of all.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:22 pm

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:An A-type personality like me with true confidence and humility is what narcissists hate most of all.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious XD
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:38 pm

electrizer wrote:
Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:An A-type personality like me with true confidence and humility is what narcissists hate most of all.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious XD

Oh that's pretty much the definition of the opposite of narcissism and very true. Hence destroying someone like me gives them the greatest of satisfaction.

They don't want to be inspired and learn unless it's relates to what they see as official status, attention, compliments etc... It's a concept they can never understand. Doing something just because it's right or not doing something just because it's ethically wrong. The only thing they want and know how to do is destroy. Clearly not evident to all people, because then we would treat more narcissists before they did so much damage and not have to treat their many victims instead. Most people are fooled and there are many things that serve as catalysts for the issue growing today. Social media and modern day feminism would be two of the big ones.

There are also cultural differences which means that the obvious ways to spot them quickly is not the same in every country or culture.
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:21 pm

I have a session tomorrow playing 6 songs for 250 bucks and let me tell you, that's gonna help with rent in a couple of days. Drums are not my only source of income but it's something I've counted on for 25 years and I'm thankful for the handful of recording sessions I've had since February. Also, hopeful because people are still creating music and still hiring musicians to perform it. It's doom and gloom a bit, but it's not all doom and gloom.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:54 pm

the mandalorian season 2 has been great. 1977 vibe. star wars clone wars story lines are introduced. star trek discovery season 3 has also been fun. can't get enough sci fi. picard season 2 starts production in feb.
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:21 pm

Liking the Mandalorian season, why the movies couldn't be like this is incredible.

I watched the first season of the Punisher and am on to the second. Pretty good, but the characters do some STUPID shit. The violence is over the top.

I decided I was going to go back in Rick Marotta's catalog to hear more of his playing. He was strong and confident from the start. I like these rum sounds in this context, the music sounds good because they aren't big in the mix. So many hidden gems, and lots of great drumming with some big time fills.

Lars was pretty damned awesome early on. Pushed the hell out of that band, sloppy but tight.

Revisited this old vid of Virg I posted when he held a clinic close by, the ending section gets real crazy.

Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:32 am

Anyone following F1?

I've never seen a Formula 1 car break in half!

I hope the initial reports of Grosjean's relatively "minor" injuries stay true. (burns on hands and feet, broken ribs)

bored at work

Postby bored at work » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:24 am

Morgenthaler wrote:Anyone following F1?

I've never seen a Formula 1 car break in half!

I hope the initial reports of Grosjean's relatively "minor" injuries stay true. (burns on hands and feet, broken ribs)

It was an outrageous accident! I jumped up out of my seat. My son was in tears. Thankfully he seems to be relatively unharmed. A Knighthood for the medic that ran into the fire with minimal protection on.

Return to “Drumming Chat”