Ralph Angelillo Drum Festival

drummerjeff

Re: Ralph Angelillo Drum Festival

Postby drummerjeff » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:Those "Jazz" festivals you mentioned are probably about 5% jazz. I wonder why people even feel the need to mention jazz in festivals anymore. I think it's a given that jazz is officially a four letter word, and not something anyone under the age of 40 cares about (unless they've been studying it in school).

My issue with drum festivals is that they promote the idea of drumming as a circus act. Other events that feature drums, like the PAS convention, have more of an educational focus.

I do not like your post at all or the one before it. I love playing and learning about drums. In music, we(as drummers) are a trade, we are not artists, we are to play for the music... which is a trade. But I love the art of drums, the rhythmic possibilities of expression are so interesting to me. You want festivals where drummers just play what they played on the song????? .... how incredibly boring and uninteresting, you can see that on the video or concert.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:40 pm

drummerjeff wrote:You want festivals where drummers just play what they played on the song????? .... how incredibly boring and uninteresting, you can see that on the video or concert.

I'm not sure I understand your post, but yes, I prefer drumming IN CONTEXT. It serves to support the musicians and music. I realize that many drummers at these events do in fact play with a band or a few musicians, but many do not, or they perform along with prerecorded music played back.

If you enjoy drums and drumming for its own sake, that's totally valid too, but just not my thing. I got into music and drumming because I love good music. Without good music, I'm not interested, not matter how fantastic the drumming.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:47 pm

I would slightly veer off this statement tho;

" In music, we(as drummers) are a trade, we are not artists,
we are to play for the music... which is a trade."

I think we are as much an artist as any "artist" per se...no point in
digging in too deep here, the art is in the composition and creation,
the nuance of feel to a particular feel, the arrangement of choice
to create a pulse that drives a tune. The "trade" concept leads to
machines and we all know how that turned out!
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:06 am

Congrats Ralph!! Well deserved!!

NAMM Show 2020 - Believe in Music Award for Ralph Angelillo
https://fohonline.com/newsroom/news/nam ... ecipients/
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:03 am

It's true that for many years now jazz festivals have had to add a few things to attract enough people to get by financially. A jazz festival is in general an act of idealism. They generally need funding and still loose money.

I've seen some positive changes lately, though. It's a combination of thinking about both general appeal, PR and simply not biting over more than they can chew. So what if they used to be the biggest jazz festival ever? If the market isn't there you have to adapt. Things are always in motion. It's not like it's always a steady decline. It's a roller coaster. As is everything in most every business, especialy if it relates to any sort of trend in fashion or entertainment.

Jazz was never popular with the masses. Not really.

I happen to have grown up in a period when going to jazz festivals was the hip thing to do, not for everybody, but it was a trend. All those extra people didn't go there just for the music, though.

I see some positive things happening in music clubs now. They have all kinds of music, but since it's popular and there are many regulars, they can put some jazz in there and that way they help promote it by exposing music fans to as wide a selection of music as possible. They make more money on some things than others, but they are not really in it for the money. They understand that if the business can't keep afloat, everyone looses, so they try to keep a balance.

There is a business side and unless you want to go it alone you have to accept some general truths about how that works right now. It might change tomorrow and if you get a little bit lucky combined with your hard work, you may not need to compromise at all eventually. It's completely possible and I know for sure I'd be doing it if my platform hadn't gone bye bye. It's much much easier with some sort of safety net. I haven't given up, though.

I'll certanly be giving you some jazz if things go my way these next months.

Return to “Drumming Chat”