ASK THE PROS - My video interviews program (Gavin, Simon, John Robinson, Tom Kennedy, Lang...)

Juan Expósito

ASK THE PROS - My video interviews program (Gavin, Simon, John Robinson, Tom Kennedy, Lang...)

Postby Juan Expósito » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:18 pm

Hello folks,
Give me questions for Mr. JOHN ROBINSON and THOMAS LANG and (post-edit) Mr. JOHN PATITUCCI (has just joined the show)
I´m co-running an online music channel ( "Mr. Online Drums TV" on FB and Youtube) and I´m doing some drum lessons and also have created a video interviews section. I would like to have your participation in some of these interviews.
They are not biographical (no please) "Yes, I started at the age of six. My father was a violin player..." and those kind of questions whose answers you can find in the first line of Wikipedia or the artist´s bio (Famularo style)
So far my guests have been (the interviews will be published from march/april onwards):
Everyone of them have been the nicest on the earth!!

TOM KENNEDY
GAVIN HARRISON
SIMON PHILLIPS
BILL EVANS
JOEL ROSENBLATT
OTMARO RUIZ (Protocol with Simon Phillips, Arturo Sandoval, John McLaughlin, Steve Winwood, Gino Vannelli...)
ERIC MARTIN (Mr Big´s singer and Avantasia)
STEVE ORKIN (Drum Fantasy Camp founder and Weckl drum School co-producer)
LUCAS IVES (Weckl´s tech)

In the past the program (not me) interviewed other artists (I keep the names) but the questions were very generic and very Yamaha oriented. Yamaha won´t be part of the new way of the program, so I will try to have them in the future for some deeper conversations.

Soooooo, my next guests are JOHN ROBINSON and THOMAS LANG.
I would like to have your questions here for the studio legend Mr. John Robinson (Michael Jackson, Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton, Lionel Richie, and 100s of mega hits...) and the incredible Mr. Thomas Lang, definitively two different styles but with a lot of things to say and share.
My favourite topics are: approaching the studio recording session, learning from others who doesn´t play our instrument, the lesson/groove/pattern/song that changed his learning experience, our internal clock, timing, practicing, mistakes, producing, life on the road, the technology and music industry...and other specific questions according to the artist...

So, What would you ask to Mr. Robinson and Mr. Lang?
Last edited by Juan Expósito on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Pocketplayer

Re: ASK TO THE PROS - My video interviews program (Gavin, Simon, John Robinson, Tom Kennedy, Lang...)

Postby Pocketplayer » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:45 am

Personally, I am not interested in any technical stuff from JR...just stories.
If I asked him a "technical" question, it would be how he created parts for studio
recordings and how much time did he have for a session to learn song structure.
I want to hear something about Porcaro...sessions they did together.

Lang...how he advanced to such a high level? How does he see himself? What was
his routine as a kid? Does he see himself as highly gifted or just a hard worker or both?
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Juan Expósito

Re: ASK THE PROS - My video interviews program (Gavin, Simon, John Robinson, Tom Kennedy, Lang...)

Postby Juan Expósito » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:34 am

JR and Jeff Porcaro shared a lot of albums.
Jeff will come to the conversation for sure.
I have 2-3 questions related to him.
Thanks pocketplayer.
Juan Expósito

Re: ASK THE PROS - My video interviews program (Gavin, Simon, John Robinson, Tom Kennedy, Lang...)

Postby Juan Expósito » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:41 am

Pocket...in Lionel Richie "Hello", is Jeff or JR on drums?

Listening to the drum arrangements I think is JR.
They shared that album "Can´t slow down".
bigbone

Postby bigbone » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:16 pm

Paul Leim play drums on the song Hello by Lionel Ritchie.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:26 pm

bigbone wrote:Paul Leim play drums on the song Hello by Lionel Ritchie.

Yes, I forget Paul!
There are three drummers in that album.
I love that song.
langmick

Postby langmick » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:03 pm

For JR:

His mindset going in to the first big session he was involved in.
What role does self-confidence come in when establishing the time, did he train his brain on the mental aspects of performing under pressure. Does he jsut do it, or does he have a conscious process?
What did he focus on to get a centered solid groove. What practice method gave him the most results.
Was there a common thread amongst all the people that he played with
What does he listen for in a song to get the groove he thinks fits best, and is his first shot the keeper or does it need refining. If it needs refining, what does he select first to modify?

Good luck, wish I could pick his brain about lots of stuff!
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:45 am

Hello Folks,
Another guy has just joined the party...Mr. JOHN PATITUCCI.
Feel free to leave here some questions for the man.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:30 pm

Ok, here´s one... If you had to relearn the instrument, what would be your focus? How would you approach the instrument if you had to do it all over again?
Thanks!
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:04 pm

why not have the pro ask you questions

Return to “Drumming Chat”